The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Emergency foods

7K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Dogface 
#1 ·
Just received 4 72hr food supply kits from my patriot supply. They will just get stored in case of an emergency. They calorie count listed was pretty low depending on the packaging. It doesn't say per serving or by package. I am looking for other suggestions or products to buy.
Each 72 kit was 10 dollars and free shipping so I didn't do much research.

#3 ·
I know the MRE's are light but if you are just looking to stock food in a stationary location, there a better and cheaper options.

I'm not a prepper but before Y2K I was spending New Year's Eve at the cabin so I figured I would bring some emergency food rations just in case. I brought big cans of kidney beans. They store a long time and are a good source of protein, fiber and carbs. Peanut butter is also really good and keeps well. Rice and instant potatoes are good sources of carbs and they keep well. These are just a few ideas.

#9 ·
Michaux Hunter said:
Twinkies, spam, sardines, and beans and rice are the ticket.
I think I'm getting hungry.

When we traveled in the boonies we always had a bag of rice in addition to our normal food supply. If we got stranded because of weather or a breakdown we could use the rice to stretch our food supply or just use the rice.

Right now I have a 25 lb. bag in the house.....just in case.

#10 ·
A search of your local supermarket will yield alot of cheap food that can be used for emergencies. Spam, vienna sausage, beans, canned veggies, etc, all come foil or can packed these days. All of it has a decent shelf life too. Not as long as MRE's etc, but most of these items will last at least a year if stored properly. There's really no need to buy into that "lasts for 20 years" gimmick baloney and get ripped off spending hundreds of dollars for crappy tasting freeze dried garbage.

#11 ·
That's great until you have to carry a weeks worth of canned goods for two people and water etc.

For at home sure we always have that stuff on hand plus extra and rotate stock.
The go bag has freeze dried emergency foods.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.