The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Elusive Black Squirrel

12K views 68 replies 39 participants last post by  kib517 
#1 ·
New member here! I have been trying to find a black squirrel for a few years now but haven’t had any luck. I seem to see one here or there in towns every once in awhile, but never when I am hunting. I would really like to get one hunting. I’m not looking to shoot a limit of them, just would like to get one to mounted. Any information on where I can find a good population/ have higher chances of finding them would be appreciated. I live in Centre county and don’t mind driving a few hours .Feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Head over to kinzua lake just past Red Bridge and hunt the hill opposite the lake and you should not have any problem.

On a funny note like you I wanted a black squirrel in the worst way and I had shot plenty of fox and grey squirrels but never a black and it took me about 40 years to get one and actually shot it not far from red bridge . I never saw a one around where I live until about 2 years ago now I see them all the time around home.

#5 ·
I remember my first trip to Canada as a kid....I saw a black squirrel in the park. I was thrilled....then another, and another. wow, what luck I thought. Then my dad laughed and said "they are all black up here". So the short answer to your question....book a Canadian squirrel hunt.:sneaky:

Otherwise, your approach offers the best chance....find local spots noted for a high instance of black squirrels. Good luck.

#6 ·
Actually, black squirrels are the result of inbreeding. The gene that makes them black as opposed to grey is recessive. So, when there are populations isolated, like it's a park in a city and the next park is a mile or more away, or in the country where there's not much habitat between an area with squirrels and the next area with squirrels, you'll find black squirrels making up a proportion of the population that increases with time.

Reactions: octagon
#8 ·
The isolated populations like are found in the parks of D.C. may be attributed to inbreeding, IDK. But up in Canada the black squirrel thing seems to be more regional. Some pretty large geographic areas where black squirrels predominate. I don't know if inbreeding could account for such a large distribution. Perhaps the black color gives some advantage in colder northern climates and those expressing the trait have a much higher survival rate???

#17 ·
The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is full of them.

I see one or two a year around East Brady every year.

In 1978, I shot 53 squirrels in a week and a half of hunting around Moshannon, Pa. Squirrels were migrating through the area, and many were black. I think I killed 13 blacks. Not being familiar with the area, these squirrels were like shooting sitting ducks. No dens in which to hide, you could walk for them, they would just hop onto a small tree and look at you.

#18 ·
My wife and I went to Niagara Falls and stayed on the Canadian side. Polluted with black squirrels there. My daughter went to Kent State, Lots of black squirrels there too. Otherwise, I've only ever seen one in PA, at my late uncle's place in Clarington. When I first saw it, I thought there was a cat coming through the woods. I'm a fan of black squirrels too.

#23 ·
I have 2 black squirrels mounts, Back in the 70's it seems rare to see one in Warren Co. today a "little" more common. Been watching one at camp for the last 3 years. Weirdest one I have ever seen was during archery last year. The tip of the tail was pure white. I thought? skunks don't climb trees. Told the neighbor at camp what I seen and later in the season he killed and had it mounted. Pretty cool looking

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.