The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if the elk in PA are still holding their antlers? I'm going to a camp this weekend in Driftwood that has elk regularly in the yard and if the elk are still holding, I plan on taking the Nikon DSLR to get some pics. If they arent holding then i'll leave the camera at home and lighten my luggage load.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Elk are not like whitetails, in that sense. In elk the new antlers actually push the old ones off. Usually, the older bulls start first. I once saw a bull with 6+ inches of new growth the same day I saw several others with their old ones still.

·
Registered
63 Posts
saw a herd of maybe 20 in penfield right past the quarry on 11/ 7 and there were 2 or 3 good bulls milling around about 60 yds off 155. first time i ever saw them down along there. saw no deer in elk st. forest in 4 days though.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
We are thinking about going to Elk country this winter again like we did last year. They still have antlers then but are a little harder to find, but seemed like once you found them there were 100 or so, certainly were no crowds.

My understanding is March is the big drop time.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
Elk are not like whitetails, in that sense. In elk the new antlers actually push the old ones off. Usually, the older bulls start first. I once saw a bull with 6+ inches of new growth the same day I saw several others with their old ones still.
But you did confirm my thinking that they drop at different times

1 - 9 of 9 Posts