The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any and all suggestions on a guided or semi guided Elk outfitter. Looking to do this in the next year or two so would prefer over the counter tags. We are not set on a location as of yet. Any direction or experiences are welcome.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would chose where you want to go first. Colorado has OTC tags, lots of outfitters, and lots of elk. They have lots of other hunters and the bulls in OTC areas are marginal. Idaho also has OTC, but elk numbers are down. Montana has drawing, however, everybody has drawn a tag with tags left over for the last several years, so it is essentially and OTC tag, apply and you will get. Montana has healthy populations, lots of outfitters and some super quality bulls. Tags, however, are expensive compared to other states. Wyoming is another option but they are mostly draw units.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did an archery elk hunt this year with Cody Carr in western Montana. First class operation and first class accommodations. Although I did not fill my elk tag I can honestly say that my guide did everything he could do to ensure I had a memorable and successful hunt. He taught me and pushed me hardcore. The success rate for archery is 25% and there were four of us in camp with one successful hunter. Rifle success is a little higher than that. Please take this advice. Get in shape and ensure you prepare your feet and ankles. The better shape youre in the more enjoyable your hunt will be. A lesson learned by one of the hunters in camp. He wasn't prepared for the altitude or the amount of walking up and down mountains with a pack on. FYI... I would book again with Cody Carr. He always attends the Harrisburg show if you go to that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts