The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Time spent in the elk woods is never a waste, even if you never actually hunt there.
Exactly, at the very least it's beautiful country. I don't see that as a waste of time or gas money. Heck, bring a fishing rod too. I don't get the negativity. I admire his optimism and enthusiasm.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Exactly, at the very least it's beautiful country. I don't see that as a waste of time or gas money. Heck, bring a fishing rod too. I don't get the negativity. I admire his optimism and enthusiasm.

Agree 100%. A trip to north central PA is never a wasted trip. Who cares the motivation? Good luck to you OP, hope you're drawn and revisit this thread down the road with your success.

According to the map, that particular area covers a lot of ground. If I'm looking at the boundaries right, you could start at Driftwood / Sinnamonhoning and scout northward across Ridge Road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
While your at it, put your cart in front of your horse also. :D :D
Being prepared is not putting the horse before the cart.
I'm doing as much as I reasonably can until I am drawn, in order to go into it with out the mindset of needing to hiring a guide. That's my take on it, I will take the longer, more difficult route in order to make my, more than likely, once in a lifetime tag, my accomplishment, period.

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
Open areas and people’s yards is where the elk are at.
There are occasionally elk in open areas and even yards, but that is far from normal for the areas of the elk range where they haven't spent their entire life living in what has always been the no hunt zone/tourist area of the elk range.

Most of the Penna. elk are just as wild as elk anywhere else in the country. In fact when we were first trapping elk to move to expand the elk range they had a elk trapper come in from the state of Montana to show us how it was done. After the first week he declared that the Penna. elk were some of the wildest elk he had ever worked with.

When you get out of the tourist/no hunt zone you can track elk, even with telemetry that will tell you where the collared elk are at all times, for days without ever getting close enough to see them.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Interesting.Its the videos that make it look not easy but they make the Elk look less wise then the whitetail but more wise then the moose.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I go up to see elk here in Pa and go off the beatten path looking for them I also go to Idaho in the archery season anyone that thinks the elk in Pa are tame are clueless about elk in general

21 - 31 of 31 Posts