The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a dry run to PA Elk zone 14.
First time up there.Can anyone shed some light on a good spot to hunt Elk .I will be coming from Pa so the closer the better.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
pretty confident in your draw chances huh?
I was wondering the same thing
Save gas and $ and stay home. Lol
Or put the gas and lodging $ into lottery tickets.
You guys are full of beans. 😛 I like the way this guy thinks. He's thinking lighting could strike and by rights it could. Takes years to get to know a hunting ground well. Maybe if he scouts for a few years when that tag shows up he'll be more than ready. Hoping this is my year as well.
Good luck. Good hunting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i cant help you with advice on good areas to hunt but if by chance i get drawn, here is my plan.
Views posted below are strictly my opinion. Every one os free to do what they wish.
Now, I only put in for bull only every year. Archery, I select any open zone, rifle Ive been selecting zone 12 for a few years( no real specific reason why, if drawn you may not get the zone you select). Ive been using the "harvest maps" and plotting the bull kills on my onX. With this I plan to do a ton of online scouting, getting a game plan together to put bots on the ground with in person scouting. i know the harvest maps arent accurate but its a starting point. Using onX, Ill be able to see property lines and potentially get permission to private lands. I've been up there quite a few times now, and will probably make a lot more trips over the coming years. It may seem to be a lot of work for nothing but i will nlt be using a guide in the event of being drawn. I would like to give myself every chance to be succesful as diy. the way i look at it is that this is very much a onc in a life time draw, at the moment, i would love be able to say that i did it on my own. this year i have 8 rifle points, 7 bonus, 1 current. probably not going to get drawn but it is a lottery so you never know. when you make the trip just talk to people, most are very friendly and enjoy the discussion! dont be discouraged by the odds, someone has to draw the tags! the pgc website has a ton of info on thw elk, harvest data, density metrics, and much more that can help you be succesful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i cant help you with advice on good areas to hunt but if by chance i get drawn, here is my plan.
Views posted below are strictly my opinion. Every one os free to do what they wish.
Now, I only put in for bull only every year. Archery, I select any open zone, rifle Ive been selecting zone 12 for a few years( no real specific reason why, if drawn you may not get the zone you select). Ive been using the "harvest maps" and plotting the bull kills on my onX. With this I plan to do a ton of online scouting, getting a game plan together to put bots on the ground with in person scouting. i know the harvest maps arent accurate but its a starting point. Using onX, Ill be able to see property lines and potentially get permission to private lands. I've been up there quite a few times now, and will probably make a lot more trips over the coming years. It may seem to be a lot of work for nothing but i will nlt be using a guide in the event of being drawn. I would like to give myself every chance to be succesful as diy. the way i look at it is that this is very much a onc in a life time draw, at the moment, i would love be able to say that i did it on my own. this year i have 8 rifle points, 7 bonus, 1 current. probably not going to get drawn but it is a lottery so you never know. when you make the trip just talk to people, most are very friendly and enjoy the discussion! dont be discouraged by the odds, someone has to draw the tags! the pgc website has a ton of info on thw elk, harvest data, density metrics, and much more that can help you be succesful!
Thanks for the positive note.This country is so fd up right now.Thinking about taking a giant bull just makes it all a little better. Good luck to you sir.And good luck to all that have been waiting so long.

·
Read Only
268 Posts
I am doing a dry run to PA Elk zone 14.
First time up there.Can anyone shed some light on a good spot to hunt Elk .I will be coming from Pa so the closer the better.
I mean its not a wasted trip its cool to see the elk, But if dont get drawn this year I would say go up in march and look for sheds and scout, go up in sept during rut and scout.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
This is the best common sense approach. After hitting the lotto you can buy a ranch in Colorado and hunt elk every year. Plus your odds are better at hitting the lotto.
Or he could move to the Benezette area which would improve his odds greatly.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I applied today which I think is the last day. I chose either sex archery. I could really use a freezer full of elk and I too will be doing a DIY hunt.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have put in every year and Now I put in for all three seasons. I don't have any preferences, but if I get drawn I have a friend, a retired WCO , who helps guide for an outfitter. I will go that route.

I Guess I better get out ther and start hiking up the sides of mountains :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have put in every year and Now I put in for all three seasons. I don't have any preferences, but if I get drawn I have a friend, a retired WCO , who helps guide for an outfitter. I will go that route.

I Guess I better get out ther and start hiking up the sides of mountains :)
While your at it, put your cart in front of your horse also. :D :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts