The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
If you are looking toward Montana. I have hunted out there with Broken Arrow Lodge twice. Once fully guided and the other drop camp. Great outfit and would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The state doesn't matter. We plan on using rifle. Im in average shape but father inlaw may have a little trouble.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Black and gold panther martin with the black and gold blade. They don't paint the blades anymore however.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
bucky23 said:
The state doesn't matter. We plan on using rifle. Im in average shape but father inlaw may have a little trouble.
Yes state does matter, and some instances different regions of states matter because of preference points. Are you trying to go this Fall? If so, you have eliminated a few options because of licenses have already been sold. What are your expectations for the hunt? Are you looking for a trophy bull? Or will a cow or small bull suffice? I know there are some good units in WY where you can draw for rifle with 1 pt. CO has a bunch of OTC units so if you are looking for something for this year that would be your best bet IMO, however your chances at good bull drop dramatically. Also, with a couple members of your group not as mobile as you will limit the areas and outfitters you want to choose from. You may want to look for one that hunts with horses and out of a lodge. A base camp, pack in hunt could also be an option but these are often in a bit more rugged country. PM sent

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've made 5 succesful elk hunts here.

A high end hunt price wise (about $6,500) but getting to hunt the rut with weapon of choice is the best.
I am booked starting 9/16 this year.
I save up and go every 3 or so years rather than go more often with a less expensive lower success hunt.

Colorado Ranching for wildlife property loaded wth elk.
Can be tough to get a date a they book up.
This is free range not a fence hunt and you see 5-10 - 5+ point bulls a day.

Not bad physically, there is almost always a senior in camp and I have never seen a hunter not take a bull in my 5 hunts here.

http://www.nwcoloradohunting.com/index.html

These are my last 3 bulls 2005, 2002, 2009

John L

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
To each their own.I'm not a fan of ranching for wildlife as they take from the do it yourself hunters.If you want an elk hunt as easy as high fence hunting then this hunt would be for you.The 100% success says it all.I'd rather go on a true elk hunt though

·
Registered
320 Posts
The RFW program requires the landowner/outfitter to allow residents to hunt on the property for free. Also not many folks would consider a couple strands of barbed wire around 13,000 acres "high fenced"
Again, to each their own........

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Agreed VAPA. I lived in WY for 5 yrs and have been on many an elk hunt, rifle & bow. I have seen a herd of elk blow through a barbed wire fence, not over it, THROUGH it, taking out posts and all!

I am no fan of "high-fence" hunts but that's me. A typical barbed wire fence is not high-fence, for sure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Someone else mentioned them earlier, but i used broken arrow lodge out of montana. Great operation. It is a public land hunt. A traditional elk hunters hunt if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Jay- I agree 100% success rate does raise a red flag! I have a hard time believing a hunt can be fair chase and 100%. If its 100% sure thing, whats so fair about that?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jayden 41,
The RFW hunts are on very well managed, lightly hunted private land. That is why the success is so high. They don't have the hordes of DIY hunters terrorizing them all of the time.(myself included) I'm not sure why you would think they take away from the DIY hunter.

Why would you take away from someones 100% legal free range trophies. Especially when he is trying to give out info to help another member.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
They don't allow residents to hunt there for free,and they are allowed to take up or block public land,which then makes OUR publicland inaccessible and posted for them to make profits
If you think seeing 5-10 bulls a day and you just figure out which is big enough to shoot is hunting,hey, more power to you.I for one do not,and there aren't many fans of it out west either;unless your the owner.I guess next you'll say that auction tags are available for everyone;right???for everyone that has an extra 100k to spend on a tag,roflmo

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Jayden41 said:
They don't allow residents to hunt there for free,and they are allowed to take up or block public land,which then makes OUR publicland inaccessible and posted for them to make profits
If you think seeing 5-10 bulls a day and you just figure out which is big enough to shoot is hunting,hey, more power to you.I for one do not,and there aren't many fans of it out west either;unless your the owner.I guess next you'll say that auction tags are available for everyone;right???for everyone that has an extra 100k to spend on a tag,roflmo
Wow guess I won't be offering help around this forum anymore.

And yes 10% of the tags alloted by the state to the outfitter are put into a free drawing for Colorado residents.
Both deer tags and elk tags. I beleive that the succesful winners do have to pay the standard resident license fees to the state.
This is one of the stipulations of the extended seasons.

The outfitter schedules a week in October for the public hunt and the guides assist the hunters in getting the game out without charge.
The land is owned by a large coal mining company and has been enrolled in the program since around the early 1990's
I first hunted mule deer with them in 1996.

Seeing and shooting are two differnt things, You can se a long way here. Many of the critters you see are way off.

These are quality people and don't come any where near making a living off the hunting. They put a large part of their "profits' back into the property with plantings, prescribed burns and water projects.

Just trying to help.

Bucky I hope you have a great expereince wherever you go.
There is nothing like the west.

John L

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Jayden41,I see you know very little about hunting out West. There is land-locked "public land" throughout the state of WY. Many are called "school sections"(a section = 1 sq. mile) and are surrounded by private property. Many/most of the land owners DO NOT allow access through their property to OUR public land. The land owners and those they DO allow access get to enjoy these "honey-holes". Not fair? You bet your a** it's not fair and sticks in the craw of the rest of us. There is and has been a concerted effort to change this situation, some have come around, others, not.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Heit said:
Jayden41,I see you know very little about hunting out West. There is land-locked "public land" throughout the state of WY. Many are called "school sections"(a section = 1 sq. mile) and are surrounded by private property. Many/most of the land owners DO NOT allow access through their property to OUR public land. The land owners and those they DO allow access get to enjoy these "honey-holes". Not fair? You bet your a** it's not fair and sticks in the craw of the rest of us. There is and has been a concerted effort to change this situation, some have come around, others, not.
Heit_ I think that is what Jayden was trying to say.

RabitRunner- I am not giving you slack for your choice of outfitter. I was just saying that any outfitter that claims fair chase and a 100% success rate you must be weary of. 100% shot opportunity, absolutely but there are a lot of things that can go wrong (the least of which being: shot placement, weather, early migration) to lead to a client not killing a bull. I know nothing of the outfitter you speak of and am not bashing anyone. I am just simply stating my opinion on outfits that claim 100% success and fair chase.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts