The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any info on an elk hunt for an older hunter (me, 68). I'm not particular which state, though I do have 2 PP's from CO. And I have the luxury of an anytime, any where hunt, except no horses. Was hearing about "cancellation" hunts also. And no high fences.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
It's a little pricey, but if you can afford it, I'd recommend taking a look at Utah's CWMU hunts. These are landowner tags, hunts start in early September, so you can rifle hunt the rut. Most units have great elk and mule deer densities, with many outfitters offering quality accommodations. Many utilize atvs, utvs, or 4x4 vehicles. I've hunted these units 6 times, quality hunts and animals.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Personally,I would look at Montanna.The elevation isn't nearly as bad.I've hunted Colorado and the unit I hunted was strait up and down and we hunted right up to the timberline.I'm 47 and still in decent shape but I wouldn't do that again.I'm sure not all of Colorado was that bad but a good part of it is.A bunch of my buddies used to hunt the Bob Marshall wilderness are of Montanna every year and I think the elevation was right around 4k ft.None of them are Olympic athletes and they handles it fine.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I just did the Big Horns in Wyoming in October, and it was the best hunt Me and my party have ever been on. With that said, I'm 48 and will never do it again. I worked out for a year prior 6 days a week, and still got my backside kicked!!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Glad to see you younger fellows gave an old timer, my age, some warning about Colorado.
I'm around his age, and I spend every week keeping and getting in the best shape I can.
I have plans to spend five days, if needed, to hunt the mountains of PA.
Been to Colorado. I know about aging and the recovery factor.
May not be the first day. It's the second and next day, and the day after that.
Active Duty None-Prior Service

Army - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday. The Army experimented with raising the age limit to age 42 for a brief period of time, but effective April 1st, 2011, the Army has reverted to the lower age limit.
Air Force - 27
Navy - 34
Marines - 28
Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I went with Premier Hunting, got a 1st rifle Colorado hunt booked.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I hunted Fish Tail ranch in New Mexico, the last 2 years and going back again this year. We hunt archery and I think they are full but we talked to them at the outdoor show and they do have gun hunts left. The place is beautiful and they people can't do enough for you.As far as your main question, the guides will work with you. My first year I was 4 months off a knee replacement and the guide worked with me.You need to be aware of the altitude. I went to my Dr. and there are pills you can take for 3 days before you go and they work.I am 63 and was concerned but all was good. Allot of Elk too. Both years so far 2 out of 4 of us scored nice bulls,not me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts