The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are PA elk more a woodland creature or do they much more prefer open lands and clearings to dense woods?

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
The original eastern elk where browsers,much like deer.The elk we have today are the yellowstone variety and need open habitat to graze.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
DCE is correct. The original elk were of course adapted to the habitat in which they evolved.
The big problem for the PA elk program is the best habitat consisting of old strip mines and other open areas is mostly on private land to the south of all of the big tracts of public land, which is mostly forest that is in bad shape from all the deer overbrowsing. That is why PA is now saturated at only 700+ or so elk.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
was north of Renovo up into Cameron and Potter County today. Saw a nice group (30-40) at the nice place below Sinnimahoning. No horns.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original elk were of course adapted to the habitat in which they evolved.
And a lot of PA used to be open habitat in colonial times was it not?

It was not all forest like it was today?

I don't know. I just assumed all subspecies of elk were grazers and deer and moose browsers

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
They are more of a CHING CHING creature now.
They remind me more and more of BOBO the black bear.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Ive always wondered if roosevelt elk would do better in our big woods, what little I know about them it seems they are better adapted to a heavier wooded habitat.

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
In the heart of the winter months the elk in the big woods (away from benezette) cant pass an old clearcut and strip the bark off of a stand of maples as far as the eye can see. Browsers or grasers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts