The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have some decent DIY plans for building an elevated box blind? Looking to build something that could fit 2 hunters. Prefer something with a set of stairs that would make it easy for my father and mentored youth son easy to get in and out.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here's mine. No plans but pretty simple design. Built from 2/4's ripped in half to keep the weight down. Sides are 7/16 OSB covered with rolled roofing. Made with 6 panels in my drive, then hauled up the mountain and reassembled. Windows are plexi and fold down. Designed to "move with the tree it's bolted to so not to tear it apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
My former hunting buddy just told me he took a Johnny on the spot and ripped it out and made a ground blind with it, It is 42x42 , he cut shooting windows in it , put in a new floor and found a swivel seat, got a small propane heater and he is good to go. He is headed up to Juniata county next Saturday..

·
Registered
418 Posts
May I suggest that for 2 people you consider a 6' X 8' or 8' X 8' structure.
My son and I built a 4' X 8' elevated 4' feet with a small porch and steps and it is too small for us. At 14 he is 6'-1 with a solid frame. The same goes for me except the frame that was once solid is not a bit softer.
For both of us to be comfortable our next build will be 8' x 8'
Acrylic used for the windows was expensive to purchase but holds up great year round. We chose to have our windows hinged and they lift up. We found that when they fold in and down there were more noise issues for us plus during the inclement weather moisture would get in easier. Our acrylic overlaps the framing and has weatherproof strips to help keep it dry inside.
We covered the entire structure with harbor freight camo tarps, which were very cheap to purchase.
Our heat source is a propane heater, lil buddy. It does a great job but remember to keep a window opened a crack or they will fog up on you in a short time.

Here are some photos of the build:

This photo was taking 2 years ago when we built the blind, our son is a much taller today.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hiamovi, yes, got the plans. Thanks for the link. Sorry for the delay was away at camp.

Flat_lander, thanks for the pics and tips.

CM

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
we have several elevated stands. all are loose from any trees , in case the tree blows over the stand doesn`t go with it. two are 4x4 square 8 ' high ,enclosed with lift up hinged windows. the third one is 6' long by foot wide enclosed with lift up hinged windows. all three are slightly sloped to let melting snow drip off and metal roofs . also all three have walk up steps. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I like my 8x8. dads 83. its got a 30000btu propane heater in it.2 burner stove for lunch.urinal. garage under it for his 4 wheeler.old sliding storm windows all around.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Ater buying some land and having several successful hunting spots, my Dad was getting old and wanted to hunt together in the same stand. So Let me first say that there was a crown in the large field, surrounded by woods. The deer came out on both sides. If you stood on the top of the crown, you couldn't see both sides. So the only way to see both sides at the same time, was to build it high enough.
Let me tell you. This was the second one build at this location. The first, wooded, no steps/but a ladder, legs were 4x4's, bolted into I beams concreted into the ground. THEN... came a bad, extremely windy storm. It snaps it off at the ground. It proved to be a great stand, almost.
This one was I built on the ground in three sections. Then assembled with a truck crane. First the 6 x 8 ft. box with the reinforced 4in. x 4 in. steel legs(which attached to steel beams concreted ~ 4 ft. deep into the ground), then the step section, then the roof. Don't forget the lightning rod! Steps attached at the ground in concrete, with a support 1/3rd the way up concreted into the ground for support. Then guide wires attached to the four corners just at the base of the house, down to anchors concreted into the ground. Let me tell you to make the steps instead of a ladder. So much better as you get older, or you bring your Dad along, or your 4 year old son can go up too. My Dad and I always had a fun time hunting together, but when we got to sit side by side, it was the Best Ever!!!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts