The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an electric winch that I would like to put to use raising deer up in my shed. I would like to mount the winch to a 6x6 post and run the cable up the post and across the ceiling to another through a pulley and down to the deer. Is this feasible or should I just muscle the winch up into the ceiling and mount it there. If the first scenario is feasible, are their certain pulleys that should be used?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I would make use of a snatch block to run the cable through.
If there was a way to secure the deer at the top of the post once you got it up you could us the winch to skin the deer by running the cable through a snatch block attached to the floor under the deer and tie a ball under the hide and the winch would pull the hide down. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kind of think of doing the same thing in reverse with a golf ball tied under the hide on both sides of the deer as I hang them head down. I could start skinning the hind quarters on the floor and as I raise the deer up with the winch in theory the hide would pull right off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My neighbor has private butcher shop and does that exact thing with a electric winch and single golf ball. Works real slick

·
Registered
2,483 Posts

this is bolted into my garage floor,made for coon and coyote but i'v used it on deer also.

the winch set up.this was a 12v winch set up with a battery and charger.i've went to a 110v/ac unit now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts