The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wish to have electric service at your camp and the closet power pole is almost 2/10 mile away, who pays to bring the line down the road? The proprty owner or the power company?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I was told this by someone... not sure if it's true or not. But here we go... if you don't have cell service at camp you can call the phone company and tell them you want a phone hook up. Then they come out to hook it up and see that there is no electric or poles. They then come to an agreement and split the run among the 3 parties.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
It depends with power company you are dealing with, co-op's usually give a certian amount of "footage" from the exisiting line to the new meter location, it can be anywhere from 150 feet to 750 feet.

A "residence" where folks live full time with a large load will get you more "free" footage. (If you tell them that and build a 10' X 10' camp expect to get a nice sized bill in the mail, I have seen people try it)

The costs vary from, #1 clear right-of-way (overhead lines) to, #2 the power company having to cut right-of-way. #3 Underground is the most expensive to install but the most reliable and least expensive to maintain. ( more expensive materials and more labor to install)

I am not sure of the cost now but it was around $6 0r $7 per foot for #1 and $15 or #16 for #2 BUT you must obtain the sign off for the right-of-ways. Not sure on the underground but you must dig the ditch.

If you are on a first energy power company Hang on to your wallet because the costs are usually many times higher per foot and no or very little free footage.

Bottom line is call the power company, they all have rates they call pull up with the click of a mouse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts