The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Sportdog 1825. This unit is rated for 2 miles. As a matter of fact, the vendor says this is one of the longest range units they sell. Anyway, a setting that generates a yelp from the dog at close range seems to hardly get a response if the dog is 50 or 60 yards away. So what I'm seeing is that it seems that the further the dog is away, the less of a shock he's receiving. Anyone else notice this with their units?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Should not matter on the distance a dog is away. When the collar receives the signal it will apply the shock. The collar does not receive the power from the transmitter. Sounds like an issue with the unit because the only thing that gets effected over distance is the collar actually receiving the signal which can be hampered by terrain and vegetation.

I have a tri-tronics trash breaker which is supposed to have a two mile range and the only time there has been an issue was when the dog was on the other side of a hill. I did have to walk up to the top to get a response.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What you are seeing is most likely the dog not getting shocked at all. I saw this with one of the collars on my first unit. It worked up close, like when you are holding them next to each other, but not at like 40 yards. Have someone hold that collar and press the tone button, then have them start walking away, see when it stops toning. Chances are the battery needs replaced on the collar, or it needs refurbed.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I hope you do not have the collar set to a number that causes your dog to yelp every time you hit the button. The correction does not have to be that powerful.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a sportdog 400 and had that problem after hunting in the snow . Moisture got in it. There customer service has been wonderful to me. Even after the first year.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have the same model and no I have not noticed a weaker correction at all like that. What I have noticed is that if my dog is really engrossed in hunting or on a track or something else of great interest he will sometimes ignore the typical setting I use and I have to dial it up a bit more to get his attention.

BTW, the 1825 has a 1-mile range, not a 2-mile range.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
John S said:
I hope you do not have the collar set to a number that causes your dog to yelp every time you hit the button. The correction does not have to be that powerful.
This makes no sense. I have a dog that will yelp on 1. It's not hurting her. Maybe she yelps from being caught off guard, maybe it's something else, but it's definitely not hurting her. I've shocked myself with her collar on 1, it tickles, it's not powerful. That being said I have a male that you don't even get his attention til 3. Each one is different.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Oh it makes a lot of sense! I have seen people with the setting so high the dog cried out each time they used the collar, and they used it far too often. I tested the collar on every setting on the inside of my wrist so I knew how it felt. I started with the lowest setting and I stopped when it got my dogs attention, that setting is number 3. I will turn it up if there is a reason to but my dog has never needed a higher setting and he doesn't yelp, it just reminds him toi do what I want, not what he wants to do.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Like I said, every dog reacts differently, even to a 1. You cannot say, OMG the dog yelped he must be getting fried!!!

You need to test it on your jugular if you want to see how it feels to the dog. Trust me, there is a difference!!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I did five on my leg once, just once, and it went straight. The only reason my dog got number 4 one time was because the rabbit crossed the road and he was about too. That collar pain would be far less than a car. Mostly only need to holler and whistle and if the collar is needed its usually a tone. Sometimes one when being stubborn and two if i know they are on a fox or yote.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RyanR said:
I have the same model and no I have not noticed a weaker correction at all like that. What I have noticed is that if my dog is really engrossed in hunting or on a track or something else of great interest he will sometimes ignore the typical setting I use and I have to dial it up a bit more to get his attention.
I've been thinking that the intensity of the dog's activities could be the difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts