The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MIL gave us a quart jar of an elderberry jelly gone awry this weekend. THey made a double batch and the jelly didn't gel properly so it's more like syrup. it's REALLY sweet...kind of an acquired taste. I've been told it's quite the health tonic...anyone else make elderberry _________ ?

I've read about wine, brandy, syrup, and jelly - all supposedly spike the immune system for flu and colds...i'd guess it would make one heck of a cough syrup too...it's pretty thick. Good on toast...and REALLY good mixed with vodka

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
My dad makes elderberry wine like crazy and the stuff is awesome. Not as good as his dendelion wine but pretty close. He has elderberry bushes located all over the place and spends a lot of time out picking. I don't know about the health benefits but after a few glasses of that wine I sure feel a heck of a lot better!

·
Registered
626 Posts
me and hte wife mad ethe jelly this year. i picked almost 5 gallons in 4-5 hours. made about 24 half pints and 4 full pints. if it didnt set you need to add more sugar the sugar carmalizing is the jelly setting. i got a box of sure jell and used the blackberry jelly recipie on the box, jsut the way grandma did it turned out great.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it certainly is an acquired taste...but Ilike it alot. Don't spill any on the carpet...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts