The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
1000 deer will barely be missed in Allegheny county.
1000 is a low number. Many more than that will be missed in Washington County. Woods are dead. No deer left. No sign no nothing. My food plots are doing great, nothing left to eat them. I'll be missing them.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
My buddy in West Virginia were EHD has hit really hard spent 500.00 on his food plot and it looks fantastic. He showed me pictures today of this lush food plot and he has no deer on camera and no tracks in his plot. I went to Robinson Township Saturday and I could smell dead flesh coming from the creek bottom below me. I never went down to investigate, but I would guess EHD has hit that area. I don't have any choice at this point but to hunt EHD area's until I make some road trips later in the season. I won't be shooting a doe and I looking forward to spending time in the stand to see what's out there. I think we will have three or four lean years ahead of us.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
Pictures from one of my cams near the Beaver/Washington County line. Several pictures of one (I think) healthy doe, a doe and two fawns and one spike. Cam was last run about three weeks ago.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well at barbarber today got a call, talked to a hunting guy from Ohio. Any way spread is from Lisbon area Negle (sp) to Darlington over to south of Pittsburgh down into Washington back up to Eastliverpool. So that where we are talking and even in Ohio they act like no big deal. Guys down around Hookstown say go else where to hunt. Local we are ?? Going have to see.

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
Took a walk this afternoon in Kennedy Township Allegheny County and found 3 dead and smelled some more. This is way beyond horrible. I sure hope the PGC puts out some detailed maps down to the township level before rifle deer season to guide hunters away from the bad hit areas.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It's real bad. I've not seen a live deer in over 2 weeks. Lots of huge bucks laying dead in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
Going out tomorrow to check my cam and the waterways. Hoping for the best expecting the worst. Going to visit a buddy now to get he findings.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Took a walk this afternoon in Kennedy Township Allegheny County and found 3 dead and smelled some more. This is way beyond horrible. I sure hope the PGC puts out some detailed maps down to the township level before rifle deer season to guide hunters away from the bad hit areas.
Has the PGC even put out a press release about it? If they have then I haven't seen it. Seen where a couple of WCO's were quoted in some local papers. They talked about it at the working group meeting, but that is hardly a public press release.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
PGC is probably happy about it. Killed all those deer in hard to get places. They won't adjust the tag numbers next year either.

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
PGC is probably happy about it. Killed all those deer in hard to get places. They won't adjust the tag numbers next year either.
Yep. If EHD kept hitting the Northern tier, the reactions would be quite different.

·
Super Moderator
14,188 Posts
Why would people claim the Game Commission isn’t likely to make adjustments for the EHD mortality?

They always have in the past, by reducing the antlerless allocations. So based on past experience I don’t see any reason why anyone would have comments that they don’t care or aren’t likely to make adjustments this time. That is unless they are just too biased to be honest.

WMU 2A seems to be the most effected each time there is any major EHD mortality. There were major outbreaks in 2007 and the next year the antlerless allocation was reduced by more than 8%. The allocation then stayed reduced for the next few years and the buck harvests increased again. A clear indication the deer population had responded and was increasing.

Then in 2012 there was another major outbreak of EHD in the same areas. The next year they reduced the antlerless allocation by almost 17%. Then the next year it was reduced another 6% and a year later reduced by another 6.5%. Once again the deer herd responded and the buck harvest went up accordingly.

The simple fact is that the Game Commission does monitor the facts and reality of the situation and I am sure they will also make adjustments based those facts of reality, just as they have in the past.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Why would people claim the Game Commission isn’t likely to make adjustments for the EHD mortality?

They always have in the past, by reducing the antlerless allocations. So based on past experience I don’t see any reason why anyone would have comments that they don’t care or aren’t likely to make adjustments this time. That is unless they are just too biased to be honest.

WMU 2A seems to be the most effected each time there is any major EHD mortality. There were major outbreaks in 2007 and the next year the antlerless allocation was reduced by more than 8%. The allocation then stayed reduced for the next few years and the buck harvests increased again. A clear indication the deer population had responded and was increasing.

Then in 2012 there was another major outbreak of EHD in the same areas. The next year they reduced the antlerless allocation by almost 17%. Then the next year it was reduced another 6% and a year later reduced by another 6.5%. Once again the deer herd responded and the buck harvest went up accordingly.

The simple fact is that the Game Commission does monitor the facts and reality of the situation and I am sure they will also make adjustments based those facts of reality, just as they have in the past.

Dick Bodenhorn
Well I hope you are right about reducing the tags. This EHD thing is very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Daughter and I got tag for 2A. That will not be used. We also got 2F. Road trip this year. Shame about this. I went through it years back. I have a farm in Hookstown I go to. Farmer then said go elsewhere. I wonder if something can be done.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts