The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a secret to growing Eggplant ? I've planted 4 plants the past 3 years. Year 1, yield 0. Year 2, yield 1 tiny. Year 3, yield 1 avg size. Is there some sort of trick ? Something I can add to the soil to help ?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Mine are struggling this year again. I may have a couple to pick soon. I was skimming a bunch of eggplant tips on websites: Don't plant until soil is really warm as it can hurt plant. Heavy feeders, should be side dressed every 2 weeks or so. Too much nitrogen makes too much leaf/plant with no fruit. I probably been planting too early in cold soil.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Mine are doing poorly too. I think its the cooler weather this summer. Last year I had an exception yield. I always use a lot of compost in the soil and then mulch with mushroom manure.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The too much N can pretty much apply to most plants. Too much N promotes vigorous plant growth while lacking fruit.

I miracle growed a few times, but maybe they need a straight helping of 10-10-10 fert. or so ???

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Amish told me you really have to watch the bugs and spray them. I grew them here years ago and they grew good for me. My little patch is usually wetter than most places folks would put a garden. I wasn't into looking online much when I grew them. I never grew them again because I didn't know how to cook them. I love eggplant parm at a restaurant. I tried making parm, I tried grilling it. I just couldn't do it right. I was told the other year that you should slice it and put a paper towel under the slices and let it sit in the fridge over night. Must be what I was doing wrong. I just cut them up and started to cook them.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I always use a lot of grass clippings in my little patch so maybe the compost is the secret.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Plenty of water also on how to cook egg plants,just do a search on how to cook eggplants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts