The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a video of a guy shooting at an egg with a crossbow at 50 yards. My mind got working and I couldn't wait to try it out.

I took a wire hanger and straightened it out and made a loop to cradle the egg. I finally got to set my "target" at 8 tonight and got ready to shoot. I thought 50 yards was too close, so I went out to 74 yards so I at least had a challenge. First shot I just barely missed high, and fletchings were touching the egg.

I adjusted my sight a hair higher and drew back. I settled in and watched intently. The arrow struck the egg dead center and the egg shifted to the left and the yolk was dripping down to the ground. It was an awesome experience, but there is a draw back from using eggs as a target. The fletchings were all yolky, so I had to rinse it off in the water puddle.

I am going to make a video of it for Mathews lovers. I tried to do it today, but I couldn't get my rangefinder numbers to show up on the video camera picture to verify for the viewing audience. I just wanted to put the crossbow folks in their place. I wasn't sitting and looking through a scope either. Take THAT! I highly recommend eggs for practice with your friends.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We used to shoot tomatoes out of the garden because they looked like hearts placed on the silhouette deer target. Had the same issue as you though - the sharts and vanes got seed and tomato juice all over them. Plus my Dad got ticked when he found all the shot tomatoes out of his garden!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Can't wait to see the video. I was not shooting eggs the other night but was getting 4" groups a 60yds.

Can we say a challenge between x-gunners and us vert guys. X-gunners got to remove scopes and shoot off hand.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They can keep the scopes, but must stand without a shooting stick or other types of shooting stabilizers for crossbows.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one with the egg blowing apart at 70 yards. I am trying to figure out a way to get the range finder to show up on the camera so nobody can dispute the yardage or its authenticity. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
treed74 said:
Can't wait to see the video. I was not shooting eggs the other night but was getting 4" groups a 60yds.

Can we say a challenge between x-gunners and us vert guys. X-gunners got to remove scopes and shoot off hand.
x-gunners come on get over it already will ya, isn't that getting old in your mind already and giving the anti's fuel for there fight againest us supossed hunting group....you and other compound shooters my friend are what will be hurting the hunting for us all....stop already ok
....it has been proven the compound will out shoot with all there high tech stuff most if not all crossbows, your jealous attitude bout other archery equipment in your woods "HAS TO STOP NOW", thank you and enjoy hunting while we still have it
.........bob

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the Z7. It is a compound bow made by Mathews, and possibly one of the best ever made so far. As far as crossbows, I know compounds are superior in terms of accuracy, and we don't even use shooting rests. Crossbows may use scopes, but it doesn't help against a seasoned compound shooter. Crossbows have their place in archery and I can care less if they are used during season.

The reason I can care less if they are used in season is because it helps people like my dad and godfather to get back into the woods. They would never admit they had a disability, but now they are able to buy a crossbow and are able to go out hunting again.

This thread wasn't about hunting, just out shooting what I saw on Youtube.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
My post was about a challenge in shooting, to make it more about the shooter and not the equipment, i suggested no scopes and shooting off hand. I have no lenses on my bow and i have to shoot off hand.

Secondly, why must MY jealously of archery equipment in MY woods stop. See the key word is MY, and you are correct, i don't hunt public land.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My video will be uploaded on Youtube in about an hour or so. It was taken yesterday in the high winds. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Newport-Bill said:
We used to shoot tomatoes out of the garden because they looked like hearts placed on the silhouette deer target. Had the same issue as you though - the sharts and vanes got seed and tomato juice all over them. Plus my Dad got ticked when he found all the shot tomatoes out of his garden!
+1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts