The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Primos Buck Roar. I was out Saturday and saw a very nice buck, I'm guessing about 140 yards away. I was about 40 yards in the woods, then a grass field and he was on the edge on the other side - est 100 yards of field.

It was dead calm. I hit the grunter a couple times. He turned around and looked once, but not sure if he heard the grunt or coincidence. He didn't take a step towards me. I also hit the can a couple times, couldn't turn him.

I think he was on a doe. I saw some movement in the woods on the other side of him. He started moving along the edge in that direction, then trotted that way and out of sight. I'm pretty sure I didn't spook him. He looked like he was on a mission.

So, wondering if a deer can hear grunts and can calls from 140+/- yards away. I'm guessing so, especially on a calm day like that.

·
Registered
746 Posts
your not going to pull him off a doe. I grunted a buck in last year in ohio from over 200 yards. Calm day he was heading left to right across a field. I grunted once and he turned and looked and started walking again. I grunted a second time as loud as I could and he turned and came straight at me. He took an arrow at 20 yards. If they can hear it you can make them come if they are in the mood. a white tails hearing is tremendous. Years ago while archery hunting I had a spike buck in a field in front of me. I was on a hill side that I could see down and the deer could not. I looked down the hill at a squirrel hunter walking a tram road about 130 - 140 yards away, it was a quiet day but I could not hear a peap from that hunters foot steps. All the sudden the spikes ears perked up and he trotted over to the edge of the hill to see what he could hear down over the hill. he stood there and watched that hunter pass by on the tram road at the bottom of the valley. when he was satisified that he was going the other way and not a danger he retuned to eat. Let me tell you, the fact he could hear that guy walking gave me new respect for their ability to hear. The grunt thing is simply weather or not they are interested in something else at the time. I would wager on a clear day and a loud call they can hear you out to 250 to 300 yards of even more, now if they want to come that far to check you out is another matter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts