The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to a new spot this morning. There were a few ducks on the water and about 100 geese. Unfortunately, we didn't get any of them as they were leaving, they were out of range, so no shots fired. Over the next hour or so we saw several flocks each consisting of several hundred birds. We saw 13-14 hundred total, although some may have been repeats. The whole time we kept hearing someone else shooting and thought at least they are having some luck. Soon after that we realized they were shooting at the big flocks that were way out of range. Way to go, guys. Scare them away before they even get close. Hopefully there will be some coming back to roost when I go back out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
With some people ethics and common sense are not important...Only results...Fortunately for the rest of us those types quit the sport well before we would.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I've been seeing this the last couple of weeks...regularly...seems guys have no patients and with the way this season has been going...their just shooting at them to shoot...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Funny post!!! Not that I have a huge problem with it, but I find it humorous to make a post complaining about guys educating birds by shooting at them out of range, when you're busting up a roost!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
jguns2002 said:
Funny post!!! Not that I have a huge problem with it, but I find it humorous to make a post complaining about guys educating birds by shooting at them out of range, when you're busting up a roost!
Was thinking same thing !!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Don't believe everything you hear and can't see.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We didn't bust up the roost. We didn't evven realize they were there until they started taking off on their own after we had statred setting up decoys. I went back later in the afternoon hoping they would come back in fewer numbers, but no such luck. Didn't even see any until we were heading back to the truck. The other guys were shooting at every flock that flew anywhere near them.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
SigGuy said:
Hopefully there will be some coming back to roost when I go back out.
Pretty much sounds like you are trying to shoot up a roosting area. Don't get me wrong, I don't really care, but call it like it is. If you shoot them when they come back to roost, they aren't going to stay, and are going to find someplace else to start roosting, making them even harder for you and everyone else hunting them. Personally, I wouldn't do it till the last day of the season, but that's just me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was not a permanent or long term roost. I drive past this spot all the time and Friday was the first time I had ever seen geese on this pond. My hope was that some would come back in the evening before moving on. I haven't seen any geese around here until Friday. It was pretty obvious that these birds were migrating through. And apparently someone didn't want them to come back.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the full situation with my roost busting and tell me what I did wrong. I look at this pond all the time. The first birds I saw were a pair of ducks Fri morning then about a dozen geese at 3 the same afternoon. When I get there a couple ducks take off and after we start setting up the geese take off that have never been there before. I just got permission to hunt there a little over a week ago. I walked back to the pond once and there was nothing there. So, what you guys are implying is that I went to a pond that hasn't had any geese all year with the intention of busting up a roost that has never been there. Maybe you guys should ask before you start throwing around accusations.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I misspoke I guess. This is the problem with reading a post and not being able to speak face to face. My hope was that some would show up at the end of the day.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
They may not have been there before...as far as you know. Birds don't roost all day long. They sleep there, go to feed and usually hit a diferent spot to loaf...IF they feed more than once. If they are only feeding once a day, they could be there all day long until only an hour or so before dark. You may not have done it knowingly, but you very ell may have busted up a roost. It's hard to say either way and those commenting that way they have don't have the facts, but honestly I'm not sure you do either. Look at it both ways...what YOU saw and what OTHERS are saying, likely from EXPERIENCE from years of waterfowl hunting and KNOWING how birds react to an intrusion to the roost. Gotta be able to see both sides here. I'm not accusing you of busting a roost, but I am saying you very like did wether you knew it or not...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if I did it was unintentional as I had no idea there were even geese there when we arrived. As said before they were there at 3 the previous afternoon so I was expecting them later not at first light.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Kill em all. haha. i wouldnt worry too much. skybusting 1400 birds is alot worse than hunting a "roost" with 100 birds. i doubt hunting 100 birds is gonna screw up the county's hunting plans. when people are busting a 1000+ bird roost and there are several groups hunting the area, that is a different thing.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've hunted a body of water for ducks/geese that gets pounded hard, by evryone and their brothers in the area. The geese and ducks both come back every night to roost.

If everyone lived by the not hunting a roost b...s...., nobody would ever hunt any body of water for ducks or geese again. Hunt them where you can, and don't worry about anyone else!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts