The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone ever eat predator meat like foxes, coyotes, Bobcats, or even raccoons and possums and muskrats? not that a muskrat is a predator. I guess it boils down to do people eat furbearor meat

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
my family owns a good chunk of private property, i have thrown fox, coyote, and coons in a pile and my observations show nothing touches the yotes or fox, not even the crows or ravens. coons on the other hand are gone within a day or two.

·
Registered
243 Posts
yuck! i aint eatin nothin that eats garbage or dead animals.

·
Registered
243 Posts
let me rephrase that. im not eatin any animal that eats garbage, nor will i eat an alive or dead animal that eats other dead or alive animals

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think I would skin and clean a canine. but if somebody prepared it I would at least try it. same with feline

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
When the wife and I were in Idaho on our spring turkey hunt/honeymoon we ate a bunch of cougar bologna. It was very dark and very good. And yes I'm sure it was a Idaho cougar and not a PA cougar cause I didn't taste or see and PGC ear tag chips in it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Beaver backstraps are excellent !! Muskrat, coon, possum are okay too. I used possum and rat in meats several times and loved it, alittle "gamey" like squrriel, but darn good. If the critters are fatty soak the meat in buttermilk overnight like with waterfowl to help pull out that grease and taste. Never tried fox, yote yet. Look on the wildgame recipes forum for some ideas. If not just wrap it in bacon. EVERYTHING tastes better with bacon !!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
To each his own but any animal that eats flesh will have an odor that I just can't stomach. Beaver and muskrat are fine. Coon and bear eat enough sweets that they are ok table fare. But fox, coyote, possum or their kind I don't need to eat to survive and I just don't want to have to get that carrion taste out of my mouth, ya know?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Had bear and it was good. However, like 12 people died in califonia from eating a bear at a bear roast. No more predators for this predator. I sure someone here can tell us why we should not eat the predators.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've had beaver and muskrat before. It was done like pulled pork and was really good. I'm not too interested in eating any predators though. I'm pretty sure I would rather starve to death than eat an opossum. If it came down to it though, I would try the other predators.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Ur a sick dude Renny! Still on for a coon float or two?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts