The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a couple of coots yesterday and it crossed my mind that I have no idea if they are good to eat. I would think they are not, but I am new to waterfowling and have no idea. Anybody here know?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I've been told it's all in the preparation.

My own experience differs. I took a friend who had never hunted ducks before. We had an uneventful morning, then began seeing a lot of coots. He wanted to shoot some because he wanted the feathers for tying flys, so we jumped a couple with the canoe and he killed them. Decided to clean and cook them. He plucked them and put them in a roaster with some seasoning, and popped them in the oven. They smelled terrible, and when they were done, his LAB wouldn't even eat any!

I suppose it's like anything else; different folks will eat different things. I have no problem with putting mergies in stews with other ducks and there's no telling what is what.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
This will be a repeat for some on here but I can't help myself.

I cooked a Coot one time but the darn Coot tasted terrible. So, I gave the Coot to the dog.
After the dog ate the Coot, he ran outside into the yard and licked his Butt just to get the taste outta his mouth.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Eating Coots is like eating the first Carp you ever caught .... tried it once, ...... ain't ever doing that again!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Coots are kinda like board fish. Old story but ya'know cook on the board and toss the fish then eat the board!! That's why you can shoot 15 a day and none are often harvested.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I was stationed at 29 Palms Ca, middle of the mojave desert and middle of the pacific flyway. The base has a lot of large lakes from underground wells, they never dry. If you have lakes in the middle of the desert on a major flyway, they will come. There were a lot of year round resident coots, nobody except me shot them. I tried one and as mentioned above it was terrible. If memory serves me the meat looked just like liver, very dark red. I used them for coyote bait. Chop them with an ax into 2-3 pieces guts and all, Stuff the feathers, guts, and meat into a hole. One bird good for 2-3 sets. No doubt a number of those coyote in my avatar were taken with coot as bait.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My Buddies and i got on a nice coot shoot last year. At first we were really not wanting to try them but then we maned up. we cooked them up in a pan with some butter along with a special blend of herbs and Spices. They were awesome! I would compare it to a darker meat dove.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You have to google the topic or look on a cooking forum that has their recipes. They have an entirely vegetarian diet and the boys down south know how to cook them. They're preferred to duckks for the table by lots of hunters, they call them water chickens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure which "coots" you guys were eating that were bad, but the ones I have eaten were really good. Like said earlier they are vegetarians and eat grass. I would rather eat a coot than a mallard that has been in the marsh all winter eating snails and mussels.

·
Registered
753 Posts
foldemhigh26 said:
Not sure which "coots" you guys were eating that were bad, but the ones I have eaten were really good. Like said earlier they are vegetarians and eat grass. I would rather eat a coot than a mallard that has been in the marsh all winter eating snails and mussels.
What's wrong with snails and mussels? LOL

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Used to see HUGE flocks of coots on the susquehanna here. They would not fly and you could dang near run over them with the boat. Hardly see any around here anymore. Never shot any because I was always told they tasted bad. Kinda like merganzers. Don't shoot them either unless it's slow and a dog needs some work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was once on a hunting/camping trip in florida where we took no meat as we figured we would kill our own. Well the duck hunting wasnt great so we shot a bunch of coot one night. Put them in the pan with a bunch of teal and couldnt really tell them apart.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
SICILIAN COOT

Clean the coot by separating and saving only the breasts, thighs and legs with all skin and fat removed. Rinse, place in a bowl and cover with milk to which a shot of brandy and a shot glass full of fresh chopped garlic have been added. Cover and allow to soak overnight in the refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator, drain and allow to come to room temperature. Roll in seasoned flour and fry until lightly browned. Place pieces in baking dish and sprinkle with fresh chopped garlic and rosemary bake covered for 1.5 hours and serve.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, maybe if I get one I will try it. I'm not one to shoot anything if I'm not going to eat it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You guys should come up to PI!! Geez! The south end of the bay is COVERED in the buggers! I drive the Bayfront Connector twice a day and saw one raft of coots today that had to have at least a thousand birds in it. Yum. yum...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts