The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Interesting article. Something like 80% of the sea food sold in America is imported from Asia. Why not cut out the importer and just eat the asian fish coming straight from American waters. If we're stuck with them, might as well utilize them.

Funny thing is for as much seafood as we import, the dogfish caught off the US East coast in large numbers , until recently , have been exported to Asia. They love em', we don't. Although recent efforts by a few US epicures have resulted in a growing US market for dog fish.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have seen snakeheads in MD but have yet to catch one. This was the first year I caught blue cats and they are already in good numbers in the upper bay/river. They are very good eating. Flatheads are very common and better eating than the channel cats. Love to chunk up some flathead belly meat into chunks and my wife breads them and fries them. Same texture and similar to scallops. Awesome with some tarter and cocktail sauce. Still straight up I prefer striper and walleye to any catfish.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have seen snakeheads in MD but have yet to catch one. This was the first year I caught blue cats and they are already in good numbers in the upper bay/river. They are very good eating. Flatheads are very common and better eating than the channel cats. Love to chunk up some flathead belly meat into chunks and my wife breads them and fries them. Same texture and similar to scallops. Awesome with some tarter and cocktail sauce. Still straight up I prefer striper and walleye to any catfish.

Couldn't have said it better! Flathead belly meat is the bomb!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whaler.....do you think the lower Susky stripers caught mid/late summer are as good as the ones caught early surf/saltwater?? I notice quite a difference myself with the sw's a tad better including the fall sw striper run.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Loggy,

I prefer eating the smaller stripers 20-26" that I catch in the upper bay/river to the big breeders. Never noticed a difference salt vs brackish. That said I notice some of the stripers I catch in late July to September can sometimes be on the thin side. I think if the water gets really warm it stresses them and they can get skinny and I've released a few keepers that have looked unhealthy with skin sores. Mid September until they leave in November or December they fatten up quickly on little shad and then they are fat and healthy again. So if I had my pick I think the spring and fall bass are better eating quality.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree Whaler...the under 26" stripers are the best table fare. Be interesting what 2020 striper regs roll out for MD. Per my read there will be substantial cutbacks.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Agree Whaler...the under 26" stripers are the best table fare. Be interesting what 2020 striper regs roll out for MD. Per my read there will be substantial cutbacks.
Yes I saw the Feds are requiring an 18% reduction in the recreational and commercial harvest of stripers from all the states. The draft recommendation I saw from Maryland was for 1 fish a day with a size limit of 18".
I'm no mathematician but since the rules use to be 2 fish greater than 19" with only one fish allowed greater than 28" how could the new rule not result in a greater than 50% reduction in harvest? Lots of guys are not going to tow a boat down to the bay or hire a charter boat for 1 fish per person...resulting in a greater than 50% harvest. There is no shortage of 15-24" stripers in the bay. I would totally understand if the stopped the trophy season for the spawners for a few years. We will see. Should be interesting.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah....the one a day rule will devastate the charters for sure. I've been reading a lot on concern with increased mortality resulting from warm water C&R stress.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yeah....the one a day rule will devastate the charters for sure. I've been reading a lot on concern with increased mortality resulting from warm water C&R stress.
That is true about the warm water C&R mortality. Its sad when you approach a fleet chunking bunker from down tide and see several dozen dead and dying bass floating on the surface. When the water is warm we are done as soon as we get our limit. I talk to lots of guys who tell you how they kept their limit and then caught 20 -30 that they released. Even with circle hooks in the warm water their will be C&R mortality.

·
Registered
19,080 Posts
to many meals of catfish are not healthy. they are bottom feeders / cleaners and tend to have higher concentrations of toxins in their flesh. BUT.....they are delicious :)

Reactions: Loggy

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is true about the warm water C&R mortality. Its sad when you approach a fleet chunking bunker from down tide and see several dozen dead and dying bass floating on the surface. When the water is warm we are done as soon as we get our limit. I talk to lots of guys who tell you how they kept their limit and then caught 20 -30 that they released. Even with circle hooks in the warm water their will be C&R mortality.
Yep....used to see that up around Swan/Love Point above Bay Bridge while chumming. Once we got our limit.....anchor pulled. Playing fish really stresses them out resulting in a high mortality percentage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts