The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a farmer call me today and ask that I not trap his 183 acre property this year because his relatives decided they wanted to be coyote hunters.
But.....
Earlier in the day I had the president of a very large local hunting association approach me about trapping coyotes on their sprawling, oh...about 2,000 acres.

Easy come, easy go......

·
Registered
931 Posts
Let me know if you need help,lol. I have plenty of bullets to go around.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm assuming you will have vehicle access?

I'm still waiting on word from two farmers (hunting out of state at the moment) so that I may enjoy a trap line check by vehicle. Love the Mountain Bike but....fear the snow on it.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nice thing is that it is broken up into 100 or so acre parcels scattered across farmland.
I'm going to talk to each farmer on an individual basis about the possibility of using their farm lanes to set and check. I've got way to much land to trap to be checking for any distance by foot. Not being lazy, just practical for checking early mornings before work.
I couldn't believe as I drove around the area looking at their posters just how much property I opened up. Got alot of work to do printing plot maps, x-ing my possible set locations, talking to farmers about trespassing......I love this stuff.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Sometimes the smaller farms are better locations than any large lease. I hate losing any ground but its happening more and more around here. Hope you knock the snot out of em.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Unless the farmer's relatives have dogs, you'll be invited back next year. I was at a fur buyer's shop a few years ago. He had about 250 coyotes hanging. He said 175 came from dog hunters, 70 came from trappers, and FOUR came from call hunters.

These large deer leases are a thorn for hunting as it's a lot of property you can't hunt, but they can be a boon to trappers. I have several that welcome me trapping.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Talked to the big land owner about driving the fields and he said I wouldn't expect you to do anything less.
He just asked if I would take him along a few mornings because he used to be a trapper himself back in the day.
"Yessir! Maybe you can teach me a thing or two while we're at it."

He got me a key to the neighboring property as well. Said they've been having a problem the past few years with Bobcats killing their ducks and chickens.
"Ever catch a bobcat", he says. "Yessir, I'll see what I can do."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts