The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new mathews ZXT and was considering upgrading my arrows as well. I like the concept of these FMJ's by Easton but have never used them and I don't know anyone personally who has. I'm shooting 70# and 28.5" DL. What is your opinion on this arrow and what shaft size would I want?

·
Super Moderator
7,767 Posts
I shoot a Bowtech Captain at 29" and 64lbs with 28.5" FMJ's. I shoot 340's and like them.

Easton's chart generally has led me to underspined arrows. I would bet your bow would tune best with 300's.

I really like the FMJ. It's not the fastest arrow out there, but man does it hit hard and penetrate like crazy. Two bucks with the bow, both decent size (last year's was over 200lbs live weight), both 25-30 yard shots, and both clean pass through shots with Muzzy 100gr 3-blades on the front and Fusion 2" vanes.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
My only issue with the FMJs is that they do have an aluminum component, and can lose their straightness much more easily than a carbon shaft will (yes carbon shafts also lose straightness), particularly after shooting an animal or hitting a hard medium. Other than that, its a great shaft, time proven, I just wouldnt want to be spin testing and checking arrows for straightness all the time. I think the 340s are fine if you shoot a 28" shaft or less. If you shoot your arrows a little long, I'd shoot the 300 spine. I shoot a 28" shaft with 143 grains up front including the insert and point at 68#, and I'm shooting a .350 spine Victory VAP that tunes perfectly and shoots perfectly with Ramcat fixed blade broadheads. Field point flight to 80 yards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts