The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having your own turkeys lets you hear all of the language.

I have way too many at this time. They are looking for new homes if you know anyone interested. Poults or adults.

I get a hoot out of them every day. Today was a cage match between a couple of snood pullers. They gobbled a lot this morning when a hen walked near the pen and for an hour after.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Hey Kip, tell Moss maybe he will take one or two off ya, and I'll ride out with him to pick them up.

·
Premium Member
24,184 Posts
If I had a place to keep them I would!!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much for one or 2. 12' x 12' would be enough for a pair. 3 square feet per bird is minimum and standard for other turkey in production. My pen is 3500 sq ft.

I just built a chicken tractor 8x12x6 that would hold a pair nicely. It has the first hatch of 34 poults in it at this time. It was so cool watching them roost for the first time last evening. They all wanted to roost on the highest pole.
They will be 1 month old 2moro.

·
Premium Member
24,184 Posts
What do you feed them?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi protein wild game bird pellets, corn and clover. Can't wait till the cicadas hatch around here. I think they will like them.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cool weather yesterday had them fired up. They gobbled hard and often until close to 11AM. Poults can strutt by thier 3rd day out of the shell. Month old poults were gobbling best they could as well. Took a batch out of the brooder and put them in thier new turkey wagon with more room and roosts. They all were taking test flights and running the pen. They are growing like weeds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My brother at one time had two pens that were 40'x60'. That was really cool because the two flocks would talk back and forth. What you can learn from two boss hens getting upset with each other is amazing. But I think the best is the very soft contented feeding sounds that birds make that you never really hear in the woods because they are so soft, but Learn to make them and they are probably the deadliest of any calls I've used.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a friend helping me move some birds the other evening. He is a long time very successful Turkey hunter. He made the comment twice, " I never heard a turkey make that sound before".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts