The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While traveling back from Philly to western Pa.....I saw dozens of deer along the Pa turnpike(near Valley Forge rest stop). The deer population in this area seems to be really healthy....anybody doin any flintlock hunting in this area?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I was on the turnpike the other day and there were roadkills everywhere from exit 224? all the way to 146. The Carlisle Exit all the way to 146

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
I was on the turnpike the other day and there were roadkills everywhere from exit 224? all the way to 146. The Carlisle Exit all the way to 146
you were down this way and didn't call a Flatty? guess you were visiting your sis.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
No man, I was out in Pittsburh visiting HanktheTank.

Went out to drive some deer with them since they had some tags to fill.

You know I woulda stopped in for a brew and some storytellin' if I was down your way.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
as for the original question, we are a little south west of Philly and will continue to hunt as long as the weather permits. we don't use flintlocks, but will have our slug guns out. there's still plenty of deer around, if that's what your asking. if you can find a spot around VF park, you should be golden. that place is over run with deer, as well as most places down this way.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Thats the area that is getting that controlled nite shoot.Think they want to kill around 1,500 deer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
there are always tons of deer across from the turn pike rest stop at valley Forge. All private land or national park. No hunting...so the park service brings in "sharp shooters". Another waste of tax payer $$.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
That shoot has been cancelled indefinitely thanke to the peta folks. Let me point out that the deer are so thick there they are severlyu malnourished and have destoyed much of the plant life in the park. being very familiar with the National park i can tell you the only way to effectively and safely hunt them is bow or crossbow.

GBJ

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
they still shoot them its the pa dept health group that does it met a guy around fox chaple he had corn alot in bags said he was baitin for a shoot

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Grey Beard...deer in and around Valley Forge are not doing well. The numbers are so large it is dangerous. I guess PETA would rather see them die a slow and agonizing death by starvation rather than a more humane means of herd control that could also benefit the hungry. On a side note PETA or another animal rights group in the area actually proposed the introduction of coyotes in the area to help control the deer. Guess who would be the first ones to complain when Fluffy and Sparky go missing! Oh wait a minute they must mean those special deer only eating coyotes! But I digress LOL

A co-worker of mine owns about 4 acres bordering Valley Forge Park. He said the deer numbers are staggering. I asked him for permission however the development he lives in is "locked up" with one of those "Professional Bowhunting" groups! B.S. if you ask me but that is another topic for discussion. I haven't asked him in the past few years however with my boys starting to get close to hunting age I might just have to ask him again...nothing like a sure thing for the youngsters!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Maybe PETA should go look at Loch Raven Resivoir in Baltimore County MD where the deer are so skinny I wouldnt want to waste my time. The numbers there are must be staggering!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heatheroo said:
there are always tons of deer across from the turn pike rest stop at valley Forge. All private land or national park. No hunting...so the park service brings in "sharp shooters". Another waste of tax payer $$.
It's no wonder I see so many deer there.. How about down the road another 30 miles or so...by the Peter J Camiel rest stop. That sure looks like prime territory with the swamps and the cornfields....is that off limits too?

·
Registered
509 Posts
them deer are out 24/7, no fear.....but the sharpshooters did take out a bunch of them and are due to again soon.....they are always right across from that rest stop...wish i lived right there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts