The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I saw this wasp air tackle this cicada to the ground from 20 ft up, today. He dispatched it within in seconds of hitting the ground and drug it to the burrow. Amazing sight to see.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have those all over my property. I didn't realize till last year what they were until i watched them.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
That is funny this is up here. I Just saw a killer get one on Wed this week while eating lunch. First time i seen this live. When i went over to look the killer took off, it was too late for the cicada. very cool

·
Registered
83 Posts
The males are very aggressive but don't sting ,they gaurd the nest (a hole in the ground ) until the female returns with a cicada which is not dead but paralized. She puts the cicada in the hole and lays eggs on it when they hatch they eat the cicada. The female does however sting but not near as aggressive as the male. BTW I don't know how to tell the diff between male and female so the lawn gets alittle long where there holes are .lol

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I had one fly into my car one night at work. I guess it was attracted to the lights. I jumped out of it like a screaming school girl. He paid the ultimate price for his mistake. They are very big compared to a yellow jacket! I cannot imagine how bad their sting must hurt. The little holes they bury their prey into are pretty cool. They lay their eggs in there and the larvae feed on the dead cicada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts