The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be towing my camper to Prince Gallitzin SP for the HPA event and was hoping someone would have advice as to the best route to access the campground.

I'll be coming from SE PA and plan on using route 322/22 unless directed otherwise. I'd like to avoid the PA Turnpike and 99 unless I have to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
If you are coming up 322/22 the last part is the bad part it will be a big hill coming into Cresson. I would take 53 out, you can pick this up at the intersection of sheetz in Cresson at the bottom of the hill. Follow 53 For about 20 miles, you will want to make a left on beaver valley rd. There is a restraunt called sir barneys there and a gas station. Once on Beaver valley Rd you will travel about 5 miles to the campground entrance on left. You will cross over the lake and it will be your 2nd left. That should be the easiset way there.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tfbarcher.

What is route 53 like?

Do you feel it would be better to take the TP in your opinion?

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, now that I'm looking at this a little closer, the Turnpike actually looks like the best way to go....and then follow your directions tfbarcher.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
53 isn't bad at all; just your basic two-laner. The directions you already got are the easiest route. Looking forward to putting faces to some of the names that weekend.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I was going to say that turnpike to 99 is the easiest route. There is alot of hill on 322/22 plus its like an hour longer coming from your area. 53 is flat and a nice road to travel towing a camper.

P.S. I have different directions to get to the club if you want them from the lake.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Peppy if you are coming up 99 then onto 220 twoards Ebensburg. Take the Gallitzin Exit at the top of the hill. Make a left of the exit. Then make your 4th left it will bring you through town and down a hill. At the bottom make a right (there is a stop except right turn sign). Follow to end and go right, this will be 53. You will cut about 5 miles of 53 of and coming through Cresson. If you need gas though I would go into Cresson (you would want to take the summit exit then, next exit after the gallitzin).

Hopefully you are confused now. Dont forget your Penguins attire.....lol!!!!

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tfabarcher35 said:
I was going to say that turnpike to 99 is the easiest route. There is alot of hill on 322/22 plus its like an hour longer coming from your area. 53 is flat and a nice road to travel towing a camper.
It looks that way, I guess I'll do that.

P.S. I have different directions to get to the club if you want them from the lake.
Yes!!

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tfabarcher35 said:
Peppy if you are coming up 99 then onto 220 twoards Ebensburg. Take the Gallitzin Exit at the top of the hill. Make a left of the exit. Then make your 4th left it will bring you through town and down a hill. At the bottom make a right (there is a stop except right turn sign). Follow to end and go right, this will be 53. You will cut about 5 miles of 53 of and coming through Cresson. If you need gas though I would go into Cresson (you would want to take the summit exit then, next exit after the gallitzin).

Hopefully you are confused now. !!!!
Is this short-cut a suitable route towing a 30 foot camper?

As far as the Penguins garb.... Somehow I'm sure I'll forget it, accidentally of course.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Peppy that way is a short cut and will be fine for you to go through with your camper.

From Campground to Sportsmans Club.

Come out of campground and make left on Beaver Valley road. You will come to a stop sign Go straight. You will come to a sharp turn then a straight stretch make first right on Walnut Hollow rd. Follow to stop sign make Left on 36 You will come into a small town (chest prings) 36 will go left you want to go RIGHT on Columbia St. Follow that till a stop sign there will be stone pillars there make a left. You will then come in to loretto. You will come to another set of pillars with a stop sign, you want to go left on st. joseph st. Follow this for about 5 miles the club will be on your right hand side.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips and info tfabarcher35.... I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Peppy

I live 5 mile from the campground.

Turnpike west to Bedford exit 99 nrth, to 22 west Ebensburg exit, to Cresson Summit exit off of 22 west. At end of ramp follow right down hill to stop light with a Sheetz on your left, turn right onto 53 north , 4 mile into Ashville stay on 53 north you will turn right then 1 block and left. Follow 53 north about 5-6 mile to Flinton, turn left at Sir Barney's Resturant to Beaver Valley, campground is about 3 mile on left. You are in my stomping grounds then, I will look you up at the event.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, yes, we'll see you there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts