The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that PA grouse season in on hiatus, I'm finally getting around to posting some pics from the trip CountryNate and I took to the Dakota's back in September.

The first day we got there, it was too hot to hunt the dogs

We found a nice spot to park the camper and just relax

The landscape is certainly different than Pennsylvania

They have funny looking deer as well

But some of the deer are similar

We killed quite a few sharptails

and Some Prarie chickens

Hunted doves during Midday

And even killed a few beers

We saw lots of these guys

And I almost sat on this guy

All in all, just a great trip. I can't wait to go back.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tcaddis said:
Did you guys have any dog foot issues while out there?
We didn't really have any foot issues. Jackson did step on a cactus, then got it stuck in his mouth while pulling it out of his foot. I didn't have pliers with me and got jabbed pretty good getting it out of his mouth. For the most part though we hunted areas without the prickly pear.

The one problem we did have was with George (Nate's dog) getting Lepto. He hunted the first morning then started peeing blood. Nate had antibiotics with him that cleared it up pretty quick but he was out of commission entirely for a day and didn't have much stamina for a few days. Which was a shame because George is head and shoulders above Jackson on finding those prairie birds.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
dap said:
Tcaddis said:
We didn't really have any foot issues. Jackson did step on a cactus, then got it stuck in his mouth while pulling it out of his foot. I didn't have pliers with me and got jabbed pretty good getting it out of his mouth. For the most part though we hunted areas without the prickly pear.

The one problem we did have was with George (Nate's dog) getting Lepto. He hunted the first morning then started peeing blood. Nate had antibiotics with him that cleared it up pretty quick but he was out of commission entirely for a day and didn't have much stamina for a few days. Which was a shame because George is head and shoulders above Jackson on finding those prairie birds.
Thanks! I'd love to do that hunt, but always worried about the dogs feet and the snakes. I'd like to see something other than the PA grouse and woodcock cover. Something so vastly different.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Dap, which Dakota were you in?

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one to the west of Pennsylvania, north of Texas, East of Oregon and south of Canada.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nate & DAP's excellent adventure!!

Thanks for taking the time to post that up. That'll help get us thru till the late season.
Was the camper rig a rental? You guys were traveling in style.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Awesome guys and great PE...I have hunted the prairies before (Saskatchewan and Manitoba) for sharptails and huns and it is great. Upon my retirement, I will be spendind a lot of time out west.

Doug...you can tell me which Dakota it was...just type an N or S...I won't say a word to anyone

·
Registered
964 Posts
I spend at least a month on the prairies each year; this year it was six weeks in Montana, and every time I see a photo essay such as this I want to go back. Very nice indeed, especially the antelope. Beautiful animal!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tcaddis said:
DAP,

Kevin, every time out there the big pad on George's front paws tear. I think Jackson tore both of his as well. It can be pretty bad. I think the ground is harder in general.

In certain areas the prickly pears are bad. I have found areas that have less cactus and that's where we went this year. The first year I went out there the cactus was so bad it George was limping for 2 weeks after we got back.

In my opinion, rattlers are a serious concern out there, so I get George the Red Rock vaccine.

The west is hard on dogs in my opinion. You are correct to be concerned but I wouldn't let it stop you.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Barberry said:
Awesome guys and great PE...I have hunted the prairies before (Saskatchewan and Manitoba) for sharptails and huns and it is great. Upon my retirement, I will be spendind a lot of time out west.

Doug...you can tell me which Dakota it was...just type an N or S...I won't say a word to anyone
N or S

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Country Nate said:
Tcaddis said:
DAP,

Kevin, every time out there the big pad on George's front paws tear. I think Jackson tore both of his as well. It can be pretty bad. I think the ground is harder in general.

In certain areas the prickly pears are bad. I have found areas that have less cactus and that's where we went this year. The first year I went out there the cactus was so bad it George was limping for 2 weeks after we got back.

In my opinion, rattlers are a serious concern out there, so I get George the Red Rock vaccine.

The west is hard on dogs in my opinion. You are correct to be concerned but I wouldn't let it stop you.
Thanks Nate.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I made a trip out there for my first time this Oct... I hunted the Dakota south of the north. Bird numbers were down 75 percent per the Local Gent I was hunting with... had the toughest time telling a chicken or sharpie from a female phez. My hesitation cost me about a half dozen prairie birds... Was awesome seeing my setters roll over the prairie. We used dog boots in some areas... Great trip all in all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts