The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this has been brought up before but I need to ask this for a friend. My buddy is going to the Big Woods with his grandson on SR and youth day of course he is a senior. Can he take a rifle and a x bow at same time? The intent would be if he seen a bear shoot it with x bow then rifle for deer? What is the rule on this situation?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Muzzleloader Bear Season - lawful sporting arms
As we approach the beginning of the muzzleloader bear season, the Game Commission reminds hunters that those pursuing bears with a muzzleloader must leave any archery tackle behind, even if they have a valid archery license and deer tag in addition to their bear license. However, those eligible to participate in the special firearm deer and bear seasons on October 24 -26th, are permitted to use other approved sporting arms, enabling those hunter to be in possession of both a rifle and archery equipment when hunting bear or antlerless deer. We recognize and apologize for the confusion stemming from the overlap of multiple seasons and the addition of the first ever October muzzleloader bear season. If the Board of Commissioners continues authorizing the muzzleloader bear season in future years, the Board may revisit the question of which sporting arms an individual may be in possession of during the overlap of the bear season with archery season. For more information on seasons please check the Hunter-Trapper Digest which is available online at https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/Pages/HuntingandTrappingDigest.aspx

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I don't understand why you don't need a "muzzy" or "archery" stamp to hunt bear in those respective seasons.... just a bear license. Most hunters in both groups will probably have those "stamps" anyway ..... why not require them ? I mean to hunt deer with a bow you need a "stamp" and the same applies to muzzy hunters(except in reg. firearms season when you don't need a "stamp" for either weapon).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
So if I read this correctly, junior and senior hunters can carry a rifle and a bow the 24-26th. Everyone else it’s either bow or muzzleloader, not both.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
If you look at the regulations, you can carry a bow and a muzzy at the same time if your hunting deer but can only carry a muzzy if hunting bear which makes no sense when muzzy deer and bear are in at the same time. So if i have a bear tag and i am hunting deer and have both weapons and a bear comes walking by i cannot shoot that bear because i have a bow. That would tick me off so i guess you have pick and shoot what your going to hunt. A lot are confused and still think they can carry both.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting points but I have my buddy squared away. He was unaware on that day as far as deer it was doe only. So he is just going to take his rifle and hunt bear only.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Yeah I caught the post from the PGC on facebook the other day... Glad I did... because I had every intention of taking the crossbow and the ML into the blind... Got some decent bucks, plenty of doe, and a few bears frequenting the spot... So I guess one day, I'll leave the xbow at camp and take it the next....
Pretty much guarantees I'll see the bear the day I have the crossbow, and a bruiser buck the day I don't.....

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
makes sense for PA. archery season is in, bear muzzleloader season is in, doe muzzleloader is in. but you have to choose what to carry, cant have both in the blind with you? you cant hunt buck (bow) and bear (muzzleloader) at the same time?

can i hunt doe and bear with the muzzleloader at the same time ?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
makes sense for PA. archery season is in, bear muzzleloader season is in, doe muzzleloader is in. but you have to choose what to carry, cant have both in the blind with you? you cant hunt buck (bow) and bear (muzzleloader) at the same time?

I guess you can if you do not carry a bow.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
But you can hunt buck and doe at the same time if you have a ML and bow/crossbow with you....

Yes, this is perfectly legal... you just can't bring the bow/crossbow with you and take a bear with a muzzleloader...

I don't know if this was intentional, or an "ooops" moment when drafting the regs... I mean, it's pretty easy to tell if a bear or a deer was shot with a muzzleloader vs a broadhead...

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
If you look at the regulations, you can carry a bow and a muzzy at the same time if your hunting deer but can only carry a muzzy if hunting bear which makes no sense when muzzy deer and bear are in at the same time. So if i have a bear tag and i am hunting deer and have both weapons and a bear comes walking by i cannot shoot that bear because i have a bow. That would tick me off so i guess you have pick and shoot what your going to hunt. A lot are confused and still think they can carry both.
You're right, it makes no sense. Wouldn't expect it any other way, lol.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Geez, it's pretty simple. It's a muzzleloader bear season. And if you have a doe tag for the WMU it's also muzzleloader season for doe. If you are muzzleloader hunting, you carry a muzzleloader. If you are bow hunting for deer, you carry a bow. Pick your weapon and game (you wanna chase buck or bear?) and enjoy

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
what if i want to carry a bow and muzzleloader for deer? i am in the stand with bow and muzzleloader, a buck comes in close and i take it with the bow. a doe is out of bow range and i take it with the muzzleloader...why is it different for bear ?

i should be able to bow hunt for buck and muzzleload for bear if i want to!! its ok in other States. some states with brains, just have "Deer" season, use any legal weapon you choose, they dont separate them. AND...it doesnt decimate their herd.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
What i find interesting is you cannot carry a bow and a muzzy if your hunting bear in case you see a buck because you cant use a bow to shoot a bear. Wouldnt it be the same if carrying both weapons if your hunting deer because you cannot shoot a buck with the muzzy. Pretty much same thing just different game species.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
what if i want to carry a bow and muzzleloader for deer? i am in the stand with bow and muzzleloader, a buck comes in close and i take it with the bow. a doe is out of bow range and i take it with the muzzleloader...why is it different for bear ?

i should be able to bow hunt for buck and muzzleload for bear if i want to!! its ok in other States. some states with brains, just have "Deer" season, use any legal weapon you choose, they dont separate them. AND...it doesnt decimate their herd.
PA is backwards on many things. I dont think they thought this through very well. I dont expect anything else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts