The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I was successful last year and harvested my first deer with a muzzleloader. Got the doe in the morning and of course saw a buck that same morning and didn't have my bow. Suppose I could carry both the muzzleloader and bow but that would be a hassle. Will most likely just hunt with my muzzleloader and try to get another doe with it this year.
I am sure you will enjoy muzzleloader hunting, it is more challenging than rifle hunting I would say.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I've been going out late season Flintlock for the last 3-4 years, seen some, missed my first shot at about 75 yards, but I LOVE hunting w/ my flint. Got my dad one last year and now he's hooked too on the Flint. I'm taking my dad, father in law and a buddy out on the 23rd (only day I can really hunt). My dad could hunt w/ a rifle being a senior, but he's taking the smoke pole, same reason he still hits from the white tees and not the senior tees, no gimmies!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I too love the early muzzleloader season when I am back to enjoy it. It is a lot of fun to go out and put some venison in the freezer. I really like shooting the muzzleloader for deer.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Hey best of luck first time out!! Its a great season I always look fwd to!!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Welcome to the world of muzzleloading! Once you make this plunge, there is no turning back! This early season will indicate the need to increase your supply of muzzleloaders prior to the, after Christmas, flintlock season. Then, you'll need different rifle calibers, maybe a smoothbore or two, and a muzzleloading pistol adds a nice touch.

Each new weapon will need its own possibles bag and tools to make it function, a range rod, and plenty of cleaning patches. There's a lot more stuff you'll need, but I don't want to scare you off.

Just know this, muzzleloading is an addiction, and the smell of blackpowder residue blowing in the breeze is the "cocaine" that welds this group together! New addictees are always greeted warmly.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Berks I have to agree with you black powder is like nothing else . The click of the trigger and than the bang and the smoke clears than you think and look and the question is did I hit it . And it is still standing there that happen to be last year . and she just walked away . my husband ask me what happen and i said dear I over shot on her . He said that is ok there will be a next time . So last halloween I made up for it got my buck with my bow I am real proud of it

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I absolutely love the early muzzleloader season. i am always there. took the monday tuesday and wednesday off for work. as i do every year. this is my favorite season to hunt. as long as the big buck dosen't come out then its a frusterating season lol

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Great buck, Vicki, and congratulations!

5chunter, I couldn't agree more! I just got an e-mail from my son indicating that we'll head up to 2G on Sunday, and head home on Wednesday. The grandson has his SAT test on opening day, so his dad and I will hunt near home in 5C.

Some foul up with the Berks Co. Treasurer's Office failed to provide us with 4C tags, but we'll be hunting together, and that's really all that matters.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
vicki said:
Berks I have to agree with you black powder is like nothing else . The click of the trigger and than the bang and the smoke clears than you think and look and the question is did I hit it . And it is still standing there that happen to be last year . and she just walked away . my husband ask me what happen and i said dear I over shot on her . He said that is ok there will be a next time . So last halloween I made up for it got my buck with my bow I am real proud of it

Beautiful Buck there vicki!!
One reason(plus others not disclosable
) why im glad my mrs doesnt hunt...she likely would show ole Loggy up!!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I love the early muzzleloader season, I can't wait for the
17th!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I agree, Octagon. The .54 has been my deer hunting piece, but I feel good about the virgin .58 fowler out to 50 yards, and I haven't killed a Pennsylvania deer beyond that yardage.

Then, if I harvest a doe early in the week, I'll want to continue hunting squirrels with the .36 or the fowler for grouse and #6 shot.
But, I'll always wonder if I should switch to the crossbow for a chance at a 2G buck!

I may stay back at camp and just cook! BUT, maybe my grandson will get a shot with the .45 cal. Dixie Scout I built for him, and I'd hate to miss that possibility.

The early muzzleloader season was a wonderful addition to our seasons, and I sincerely thank the Pennsylvania Game Commission for the opportunity.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm very excited, I plan on taking the flintlock pistol out. I'm still trying to get one with it. (.50 caliber traditions-trapper)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks loggy my husband was really excited when i down that boy . my husband and i hunt alot together i keep him on his toes . I do alot of dumb stuff while hunting . But he deals with it . I am ready for muzzle loader season also i shot with a 50 cal . my husband shots with a 45 cal that i had coustom made for him a few years back . He has killed a couple of doe with it . we are going out sunday to shoot them and get the feel of them we use to do alot of muzzle loader shoots . on the weekend and we would travel out of state with them . we had a blast an alot of money tied up in that sport . but they are a blast .

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Vicki Ransel said:
Thanks loggy my husband was really excited when i down that boy . my husband and i hunt alot together i keep him on his toes . I do alot of dumb stuff while hunting . But he deals with it . I am ready for muzzle loader season also i shot with a 50 cal . my husband shots with a 45 cal that i had coustom made for him a few years back . He has killed a couple of doe with it . we are going out sunday to shoot them and get the feel of them we use to do alot of muzzle loader shoots . on the weekend and we would travel out of state with them . we had a blast an alot of money tied up in that sport . but they are a blast .

Your welcome Vicki! My Mrs is a fisher/crabber with me which she sometimes out fishes me!!
Just sharing the great outdoors together in whut its all about!!

Best of luck this coming ML Season!!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
MuzzleMike said:
octagon said:
Me also!! The hardest part is which frontstuffer to use
I have to wait till a little later . I am getting a hart cath. on Monday . It will knock me out of hunting for some time not shore how long Doc said I will still get out the season just not shore when .
Mike, best of luck with that procedure. You got to get ready for the West PA Late ML hunt. Eddie Spaghetti

1 - 20 of 27 Posts