The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always behind getting the early stuff in. When do you all plant your onions? Any thing else that can be planted soon?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Onion sets can go in april. I picked up a planting guide sheet at the local nursery. Send me your email in a pm and I can email you a copy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
the old timer farmers always told me onions and potatoes go in after st. Patty's day. have not had the space to do much of a garden but got the time and space this year. quite excited

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I wish I could get in an early planting. We still have about 1 foot of snow on the gardens. Getting real tired of it. Maybe I can plant snow peas???

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
my onions went last week and my peas went in on St. Patricks day ( pea on Patrick as we call it) Potatoes are going tomorrow (03/21/11) the day after the Vernal Equinox.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
doubleT said:
my onions went last week and my peas went in on St. Patricks day ( pea on Patrick as we call it) Potatoes are going tomorrow (03/21/11) the day after the Vernal Equinox.
T can you and the others please explain WHY you put your potatoes in so early?

3 of us talked about this Friday night as we got the fields ready to have manure thrown on them then plowed for the first time... we will not be putting anything in the ground till around 4/15/11...

All 3 of us know of many people who put potatoes in at this time of the year and either have them lay and rot in the ground or do not do anything till later in April if they do not rot...the ground temp is not all that warm and there still is cold weather to be had for a few more weeks that will not make potatoes grow all that much... my buddy who owns the farm I plant on does not put his potaotes in the ground till the second or third weeks in May, his reasoning is, they are 90 day plants and planting them then puts them ready to be harvested in late august and he can let them go in the ground till mid september or early october with no fear of them rotting and then dig and the days are cool and they do not end up rotting on him after digging because of hot weather...he spreads his potatoes out on a large plywood bench and lets them dry before putting them in a cool room in his shop.

The 3 of us can not understand why folks want to put potatoes in so early and risk having them do nothing but lay in the Ground and Rot and not grow at all!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have always planted my spuds this early and never had rot issue. I plant a mid season spuds which if planted now is ready for harvest at the begininng of July. This is good because because when road stands and grocery stores are at a low inventory and waiting for a fall crop to come in. I'm already selling spuds in July.
I also have alot of shale in my soil so my water run off is different then some areas, so I don't worry about rot.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Let me also ad to my above post that when I plant potatoes this early I cover the ground with straw after planting. The straw will hold in the warmth from the mid day sun and TRY to get that ground temp up to 55 degrees. It also acts as protection from that last possible frost that might burn new sprouts.
If frost does burn the plant back to ground level they will produce addiotional sprouts, however evrytime this happens it is a set back.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Anyone ever do the plant the above ground crops on full moon and below ground crops on dark moon?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
410-er said:
Anyone ever do the plant the above ground crops on full moon and below ground crops on dark moon?
My Mom and Dad did their garden that way...they bought the farmers almanac each year and went by it on what days to plant stuff by what phase the moon was in.

I just plant, doesn't matter what the moon cycle is!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
My girlfriend and I couldn't wait any longer. Last weekend we planted tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, lettuce (mesclun mix), and peas. Tomatoes and brussels sprouts were started indoors weeks ago, and were looking really good when we put them it. We still have eggplant and pepper plants growing in the basement, plus beans, zucchini, summer sqash, cucumber, and potatoes to plant from seed.

Technically, the almanac said the last frost date here is May 6, but watching the weather forcast, it's not supposed to go below 40 for the next 10 days, so we took a risk. This is the first year I've actually made seed starting work, so I really hope the weather holds and doesn't kill everything we put in the ground!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
mountainhippie said:
My girlfriend and I couldn't wait any longer. Last weekend we planted tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, lettuce (mesclun mix), and peas. Tomatoes and brussels sprouts were started indoors weeks ago, and were looking really good when we put them it. We still have eggplant and pepper plants growing in the basement, plus beans, zucchini, summer sqash, cucumber, and potatoes to plant from seed.

Technically, the almanac said the last frost date here is May 6, but watching the weather forcast, it's not supposed to go below 40 for the next 10 days, so we took a risk. This is the first year I've actually made seed starting work, so I really hope the weather holds and doesn't kill everything we put in the ground!
Hippy,
That is my Favorite Lettuce to grow...

Something for you to do to extent the life of it...

When it is ready to pick do not pull it out of the ground, take a pair of scissors and cut the lettuce at the base just a little above the ground, after you cut it, mix up some Miracle-Gro and feed that cut stubs real good and let it go, you will be amazed at how long you can keep it going and pick pretty much 1 to 2 times a week from it and longer then others do that simply pull the lettuce mix out of the ground, every time you cut, feed it a Miracle-Gro mix!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I have really bad luck with Miracle-Gro, seems to kill everything I put it on with the exception of one species...nevermind which one. I use a heck of a lot of compost and rabbit manure, though, and that seems to make everything grow like crazy.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Here's some of my stuff as of today.

Garlic

Onions

Tomatoes

Peppers

The lettuce is taking it's time and I just got radishes and peas in the other day. Cabbage will be in the ground this weekend.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts