The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work part time at a sporting clays range and have noticed some shooters with ear muffs that "cut out" at a certain decible but they can hear any other normal sounds. I'm thinking this would be ideal for my two children age 10 and 7 that want to go spring gobbler hunting through the youth mentor program. That way if I have one of them with me in a blind I can still speak to them and give direction while preparing for a shot. Does anyone have any suggestions as to brands that are reasonably priced but work well?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
742 Posts
The price range for these muffs from what I've seen is from $40 to $400 or higher. Just from reading about them it seems you get what you pay for when it comes to electronic muffs. I used them ($300 muffs) 20 years ago and I know it is hard to pinpoint the direction of sounds with them. I believe that still holds true for modern electronic muffs. If you only need them so your sons can hear your voice the cheaper ones may work for you. If you haven't already I would go to the Cabelas site/internet and read the reviews of the lower priced ones. Keep in mind that generally electronic muffs offer less hearing protection that regular muffs. Those don't seem to be an option in your case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts