The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Use this for your dogs ears , its the only thing I will ever use on my dogs.
Its called the purple stuff

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).

Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.

Treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

If you are concerned about the alcohol burning the inside of the ear (it could if the dog has been scratching its ear), then you can substitute the alcohol with witch hazel.

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and may need to be special ordered.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I just put a couple of drops of Ivermec in and rub the ear at the base for a bit. Do it again 3 days later to be sure!! Ivermec can also be used for mange as a topical with a couple of drops on the skin.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
If you're sure it's ear mites the Ivomec works great. If it's a yeast infection (commonly mistaken for ear mites) you'll need an acidic ear wash like posted above.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Purple stuff will take care of any ear problem and keep it from coming back when used as a monthly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts