The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
40,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a report from Ian Rappaport saying the Eagles are expected to pick up the 20 million dollar option on Nick Foles.

This is my take on the subject.......He will excercise his option to buy out for 2 million. It looks like a chess game is taking place so the Eagles can get some form of compensation for him. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
this is a mutually agreeable chess game.
and if nothing materializes out of it before his 2 mill buyback date ,he will option his buyout.

nick has 20mill reasons to play along
if the eagles can trade him to an agreeable destination hes guaranteed his 20mill wherever and can negotiate a long term deal.
but I don't think there will be earthshattering trade deal
maybe a good player or a low 3rd round or high 2nd round pick

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
I also believe Nick is a willing participant in this deal.
EAGLES don't have cap space to play and lose.
Having to pay Nick 20 mil to sit would severely tie their hands with free agency.
Only way Nick won't be dealt is if the EAGLES have a indication Wentz will not be ready till mid season or later.

·
Registered
40,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it’s playing out the way everybody said it would. Foles has opted for the 2 million dollar buyout and that voids the Eagles 20 million dollar option. The Eagles will now put the franchise tag on Foles and trade him.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Sports radio said he is going to end up in Jacksonville

The guy hasn't even been traded you and ESPN predicts the Jaguars will miss the playoffs this year under Floes.......he gets no respect.

·
Registered
40,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Jags receivers are nothing to write home about about but their quarterbacks have been terrible. Maybe with Foles tossing them the ball their game will be elevated. One thing I’ve learned in life is this......”You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken crap.”

Football is the ultimate team game. Every player needs to be on the same page for the plays to work. Give Foles a good offensive line, a good running game, good wideouts and a good tight end and I predict he’ll be a good QB in Jacksonville.

If all of the above is chicken crap.....guess what they’ll get?

I said before, Foles is the Rodney Dangerfield of NFL quarterbacks. Foles won a Super Bowl as a three time underdog. Then there was this year. What do they need to see to respect him?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Daily News today says if they use the franchise tag it's around 25 mil. Yikes.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
The Daily News today says if they use the franchise tag it's around 25 mil. Yikes.
Whats a good starting QB worth these days?
Most likely the most the EAGLES will get for Nick is a 3rd round pick.
Reunited with his old coordinator as the head coach it could be a good fit for the Panthers and buy a couple years to develop a good draft pick QB for down the line.

·
Registered
40,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know 25 million sounds like a crazy number but consider this....

Jimmy Garapolo will make over 61 million for the 2018-2019 seasons

Matt Stafford earned 26.5 million for 2018

Derek Carr earned 25 million for 2018

Kirk Cousins earned 24 million for 2018

Andrew Luck earned 24 million for 2018

What do they all have in common besides the fact they are all millionaires? None have won a super bowl. Heck, Garapolo never played a full nfl season!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
When is the last time Foles played a full season?

25 Million for a back up QB is steep. also for a 3rd round draft pick. However it is good money if it keeps him out of the NFC and even more so if it keeps him out of the NFC east.

I think the tag if given to him would be the organization helping him get a good deal where ever he ends up. Right now we know his asking price is at least 22 Million. With the tag it goes to at least 25 million. This is a thank you and a good business decision by the Eagles. Waugh!

·
Registered
40,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foles never played a full season due to injury and a bad head coach. If those guys are worth 25 million or more, Foles is worth 25 million.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
The EAGLES kind of put it to Nick by picking up his option instead of just franchise tagging him from the beginning. This would have avoided Foles buying out his option and saving him 2 million dollars. So they did right by paying him a mil. incentive he fell short of by being injured but took it back and got him for another million to trade him.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The EAGLES kind of put it to Nick by picking up his option instead of just franchise tagging him from the beginning. This would have avoided Foles buying out his option and saving him 2 million dollars. So they did right by paying him a mil. incentive he fell short of by being injured but took it back and got him for another million to trade him.

I see it as setting his base salary. Business is business. No one would mind seeing him in the playoffs but we don't want to see him twice a year. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I havn't seen any confirmed reports of a franchise tag being applied
just lots of speculation and hearsay.

just keep in mind a franchise tag can be applied today and retracted tomorrow.
if the tag is applied it will be with foles knowledge.

both of these parties know how the business works
and I think all parties want to do right by eachother
despite what it looks like to outward observers

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
If they do tag Nick and no deals materialize the EAGLES are screwed for next season since they don't have the cap space to play a 25 million dollar game of chicken. They have to many other holes to plug.
Nobody can sign Nick anyhow till after March 13 so we will see what happens.
I would bet he ends up in Jacksonville and teams like the Redskins and Giants know the EAGLES will do anything....except pay Nick 25 Mil to ride the bench , to keep him from going to them.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I would like to see him go to Redskins, I know that is counterproductive, but I get a lot of their games on Atlantic Broadband along with Ravens games......and I like watching hhim play..

·
Registered
40,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s appears there is a trade in place for Joe Flacco to go to Denver. Cross the Broncos off the list of potential Nick Foles suitors.

1 - 20 of 325 Posts