The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first year trying soybeans and have tried a couple different techniques. I decided on eagle seed managers mix and though it is a little pricey it's germinated well and the deer are loving it. I tilled a spot and planted it by itself and mixed it with corn. The beans that aren't sheltered in the corn are just over my ankles and are getting hammered. Some of them have been over browsed but overall I think they'll last into hunting season. The beans in the corn however are knee high and much thicker. I also planted some that I mixed with oats. They are taller than the plain beans but definitely not as sheltered as in the corn. The other planting I just no till thatch planted. I did that planting 2 weeks later than the first and it's slower germinating but the thatch layer has let them get a couple inches with protection. All of the seed was broadcasted.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Thanks for the sharing the pics! What was the planting date on the plots? .....and how pricey are you talking for a bag of this seed?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the first planting with the corn the end of June. The thatch planting I did in the end of July. I paid $110 for a 50# bag with innoculant.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
This fall go buy a couple bushels off the local farmer for about 8.oo a bushel and store them until next spring

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my initial plan but I'm not sure standard ag beans would withstand the browsing pressure these are getting. I'll take pics as we head into fall and see how they're doing.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
I looked back and most of the sobyeans got 55-60" tall, but some of them were approaching 6'.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I'll definitely try them out next year. I'm not going to put a fence up but I'll test them to see how they withstand heavy browsing.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Thanks I'll definitely try them out next year. I'm not going to put a fence up but I'll test them to see how they withstand heavy browsing.
The advantage of the fence is for a small plot it lets the plants get established before browsing. I think I had it up for 2 months and then took it down. I have seen small soybean plots never get going because the deer just mowed them off as they grew.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Reactions: cspot

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you don't fence it will look like this. I was under the impression that with regular beans it the deer nip them off after they are a few inches high it will kill them, but the forage beans continue to grow

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
The same field over seeded with brassica 7/20, will broadcast rye into this next week. The forage soybeans were roundup ready so I could spray the weeds out of them.Planted them May 25th three weeks after spraying then sprayed again the end of June. I'm not a huge fan of spraying but I should have the weeds under control by next year and will hopefully will not need to spray again

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
One Horn - considering the brassicas are looking good, I don't think I would worry about planting rye in that field. I think the brassicas will keep it from getting established. I could be wrong, but that has been my experience.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't fence it will look like this. I was under the impression that with regular beans it the deer nip them off after they are a few inches high it will kill them, but the forage beans continue to grow
I had the same impression which is why I spent the money on the eagle seed brand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts