The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone good with snake ID??? Not sure how these 2 pics will turn out...took and loaded with my droid....so if they are bad, I will have to load them from my pc later....

The snake was found in NC...obviously on the beach...but I think it was out of place due to the hurricane tides....didn't look like a sea snake...to me...

Its tail looked like it was cut off at on point...

Body was large..very thick snake....head was large and to me, looks like a viper head....and he tried striking me many times...very agressive...

I caught another simiar but smaller in my cast net in some brackish water and showed a biologist in training....

Only thing I can find that looks like it is a cotton mouth....she, going by the book, told me no, they are fresh water....not salt water and aren't really barrier island species blah blah blah....I told her the water in the marshes is hardly salt water and is mostly rain water and its not far fetched...cotton mouths are fairly common on the mainland....

Anyway, hope the pics turn out and hope someone knows what it is.....look at the snake....not the sand...I truely believe it was 100% out of place...I found a smooth(I think) green snake on the beach today and I don't think he belonged either...

Green snake...he was awesome lookin! I never seen one in the wild and in person!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
That green snake is pretty neat looking!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My guess is a Brown water snake and a rough green snake. How long are the snakes pictured roughly? Did the first one ever "play dead"?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'd say the first one is definitely a water moccasin, but then again I'm not Herpetologist. When I was in SC, and GA I saw ALOT of those buggers, and they are real thick like the one in your picture. Also, the head is a little to big for a water snake. JMO. You missing Slippery Rock yet mauser?

·
Registered
447 Posts
what was the nose like on that first one? It looks to me kinda like an eastern hognose snake. They're fairly common down south and inhabit sandier areas and dunes.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Green snake = ? to me. That other dude is a Cotton Mouth. I saw a number of them in SC and NC. The green snake is a pretty creature. There is nothing attractive about a Cotton Mouth.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow...my phone butchered my post title lol....

Anyways, the big guy was maybe 24ish inches with probably a fair chunk missing...the green snake, was maybe 18ish...

The nose didn't look like a hognose...

Wish I coulda have gotten close and had my real camera....the zoomed in pic likely looks horrible on a pc....

It never really played dead...but to keep it from escaping into the surf, I got between it and the surf and kept my atv on the far side of it....one of the more aggressive snakes I've come across...he coiled up and was striking at me...

Wily, I came across that site, but it won't load on my phone for some reason....when I get off I will check it out....

Like I said, both snakes were probably washed out of the wooded area a mile or 2 away when the water receeded....

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is not a cotton mouth, it is a water snake, non posionous. Look at the pupil of the eye, if it were a posionous snake it would be a vertical slit.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope that sucker is there again this evening! I will have my camera...and will find a way to safely get better pics lol....

The head, to me, screams viper...and the mouth gaping is a cotton mouth...I didn't know it was mouth gaping..I just thought maybe they did that before they struck(snakes in general).

I looked at water snake patterns of water snakes that can be around here and none match....

I will also try to get the pics on an NC website...they might recognize it quickly....as well as a biologist here..I'm just flat out curious now...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would have to say eastern hognose on the first one.Looks like the eyes are set to the side too much to be a water snake.Water snakes eyes are more set on the top of the head so they can see with their head barley out of the water.Definately not venemous.Hard to see in the pic,but the first pic looks like an upturned rostral scale at the tip of the nose.This is used to dig up the main prey item toads in soft sandy soil.Also the color phases vary so much in hognoses that it may not match anything in a book.They can be from black(Melanistic) to a bright orange with pattern.The other snake,rough green.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Good idea but make sure you stay away as Cotton Mouths have a reputation as being easily upset and they are aggressive. If you just take a peek at just about any on-line pic of a Cotton Mouth it's easy to see the match. Be careful.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Definitely not a Cotton Mouth, at first glance I say Hognose, but it's hard to tell from that pic. Not all venomous snakes have slited pupils, but cotton mouths do and that snake does not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts