The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GSP and am looking to buy my first e collar. i want to buy a Tri Tronic and im not sure on which range to buy. I would like to hear some opinions on buying a 1/2 mile range collar to a 1 mile range collar. I was leaning more towards the half mile range buy wasnt sure if i would need the 1 mile instead. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
I strongly suggest going with the one mile range for a hunting dog running off lead..

As Carl said range is cut significantly in heavy cover and hills and valleys...

For hunting dogs off lead TT field or pro models...

Best of luck with your dog and your decision.

·
Registered
625 Posts
YOu have picked a good brand. As a working pro I have been using the Tritronics collars since the mid 1970's. I have tried others and have always come back to Tritronics for consistency and reliability. Plus they are made here in the USA.

As for the range I have found that the 1 mile collars are best. As Carl and Timberdoodle have mentioned if you are planning on using a collar in heavily wooded and hilly terrain even the best 1 mile units drop down considerably. A shorter range collar looses too much for a hunting dog that is really hunting.

If on the other hand all you are planning on is going to shooting preserves and your dog is a 40 yard dog you might be able to get away with a half mile collar.
Tom

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
I use the Tri-Tronics Sport Upland G3 on my GSP and am very happy with it. I had a TriTronics Sport 65 BPRs that I used on my old GSP and it also worked well. I sold it when I lost her. The Sport Upland G3 replaced the Sport 65 BPRs, so that is the one I went with.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
pjgsp said:
i was actually looking into the sport upland g3 with beeper
I started with the Upland and for just corrections it was fine but for training I shortly after that bought a Pro 100. I has more capability from low to high in making correction.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I went with the TT Pro 100. It has been rock solid and is the same collar that the area trainers use. So if I drop my dog off at trainer, I know my dog is going to get the same stimulation that he is used to if needed.

Stimulation seems pretty even with the TT collar I have as well. Setting 2 is always setting 2, low, medium, high. A cheap freebe collar I got before the TT purchase was horrible. Dog would yelp or not respond with the same setting. Stim was very erratic.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Pigsp,
TT has come a long way, however we train with the 2000 and older Dogtra T&B or the DT H20 T&B, quality collars
that last and seldom if ever break down. I have some original Dogtra T&B Collars that are over 18 years old, that we just had rebuilt for the 1st time this past season. If you need high quality logevity training collars, that stand up to every day usage, we recommend only these two collars to all our clients. These T&B Collars are not cheap, and I do wish they were made in the USA, but they are only assembled in the USA.
Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had two of the Tri Tronics upland special collar/beeper combinations and was happy with them both. I was always pleased with their customer service too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts