The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a lab puppy in the beginning of June. I am looking at e-collar for it, and I have decided to get a tri-tronics. I am looking at the Pro -100 or the Sport Basic. Any thoughts on these two, or others I should be looking at. Will mainly be hunting waterfowl, if that matters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I prefer dogtra t&b more adjustability in stimulation with its reostat dial to pinpoint a training level for introduction of the collar and a built in beeper for location. Battery lasts for days. Compact size with a mile range. The adjustment on the tritonics and sport dogs is like raising the dogtra 5 levels each click.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've had good luck with my Tri-Tronics Sport Basic G3 system using it at times to run three collars. I've considered the Pro models but the Sport Basics do everything I need and are cheaper to replace <span style="font-style: italic">when</span> you lose the handheld unit.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I have about every brand of collar and the G3 series Tri-tronics is hard to beat for reliability and value. I have high end models in Tritronic, DT, and Dogtra that are very good, but 90 percent of the collar my business owns and uses on a daily basis is G3 series Tritronic. Very user friendly, very reliable, and very good value.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've been using a Tritronics Pro 100. Seems the G3 and Pro 100 are now the same collar. It works great and reliably.

I tried a cheap freebee before the tritronics. It was marginal at best, and then horrible after a bit of water and mud. Tom at Knob Mountain used the tritronics and got me using them. I will never purchase another unless this one dies. Worth the extra money.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
TT has worked great for me. Very happy with my g3.
Friend has a dogtra and he likes it. Both r reliable. Another friend had a sportdog and had nothing but issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use Dogtra collars for my labs and love them. But of the two mentioned. I would definatly go with the Pro 100 over the Sport Basic if you want a Tri-Tronics.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've used just about every brand of collar on the merket. Many of the ones that I tried are long gone. My first e collar was a Tritronics back in the 70's. After every try to find something better I always have gone back to Tritronics. I think that you will find that most knowlegeable professionals do the same.

AndyMeyer check your PM's. I have a Pro 100 for sale.
Tom

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Andy,
We use the 2000 and older Dogtra T&B or the DT H20 T&B
collars. High quality dependable collars.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
636 Posts
The only thing I've noticed about the TT G3 is you have to keep it well charged. At least with mine, when the charge starts to get low, it produces NO shock at a "1" setting, but then when I go up to a "1 1/2", it works. Charge it up and it's OK on all #'s.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Pro 100. I like the 18 levels of continuous. I use the collar in the final stages of force breaking and many of T-tronics collars only have six levels of continuous. With the six level collars I've had dogs that level one wasn't enough and level two made them vocal. For a little more money that is not an issue with the 100.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tri-Tronics, just replaced my 100 model after 15 yrs

·
Registered
365 Posts
Tri-Tronics. Top quality. Great service after the sale.

My current G3(transmitter and receivers), will hold a charge well over a week, being used 5-6 days a week during the grouse season. The charge held even when left in the truck on very cold nights in Jan. and Feb., I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After a long conversation with a Tri-Tronics rep i went with the sport model. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm not running a kennel or field trials though, so the sport model was all my lab (and I) needed. I also liked that the Tri-Tronics rep didn't try and sell me their top model. He was very knowledgeable and directed me the unit the best fit my needs at that time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts