The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what causes this we put these in a couple weeks ago. They started to take off and then these three died in a couple days. It looks like the roots didn't grow with the tops. It happened last year to a couple of broccoli and cauliflower. The rest look good and seem to be growing well so did the others until they up and died

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Looks like grubs are eating the roots.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm at work so i can't see pics. But if its what I think it is its those little brown ants. Look around the base of the plant & underneath if their dead. This has happenened to me dozens of times over the years. It could also be root maggots. Either way I controlled them with Diazenon or similiar chemical.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Looks to me like someone did not plant those plants deep enough and they grew and the stem could not support the top since it was not placed in the ground far enough and did the Old SNAP off and died!

If you take a look at all the pictures, you can see a few of them starting to lean over and the leaves laying on the ground...those might not snap off, but looks like the others Did!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts