The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I just picked up a couple dozen new to me traps, used and some are fairly rusty and needing of a good dye. Others could get by this year the way they are.

I'd like to use some of these traps here in a couple weeks. Could I speed dip these let them hang for 2 weeks and wax? I'll be trapping the week of new years at my cabin, i'd like to have them ready by then. My other option I guess would be to wax them and forget the dye.

I have a dozen waxed and dyed ready to go, but I'd like to have a few more as well, which is where the ones I just picked up come into play.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
I would use them as is, maybe just wax if needed, but I wouldn't use a speed dip until the summer months.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Any used trap i buy gets boiled or pressure washed, dyed, then waxed...

Never know how they were handled...and i am not contaminating my wax pot....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, it seems that the consensus is that I wont have adequate time to dye them.

Any issues with boiling them in a baking soda solution to remove contaminates, will this remove some of the rust?

Hang them out for a couple days them wax?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If you have time to boil you have tine to dye...

Sumac buds, oak leaves and bark, walnut hull etc are free, easy to find and work...i made a soup out of leaves from the yard at camp, water, and traps....worked every bit as good as logwood...

I like to clean em good before i dye..car wash will work...especially this time of year most have hot water...

Could use them as is and see how they work out...especially ones that appear to be dyed and waxed and arent rusty...

I just wont stick a trap in my wax pot that i didnt handle start to finish...too much money wasted if the wax gets contaminated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts