The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea to dye my s hooks, swivels, j hooks, earth anchors and other small parts. If so how do you go about doing it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
It depends what your target animal is.

For canines in my opinion it is best to dye/wax your entire trap assembly to protect against odor,the elements, and the usage of anti-freeze if needed which can be hard on equipment. I use mainly chain stakes which get dyed and waxed. My cable and rebar stakes which I still find some use for only get dyed to eliminate odor.

As far as spare s hooks, swivels, j hooks etc I keep a few of those dyed and ready to go with me at all times if I need to trade them out on the line. To do this I just put them in an old metal coffee can with a few holes punched in the bottom and hold them in my trap dying pot with a pair of pliers.

For my water sets I have switched a lot to speed dip or spray paint as both hold up better in the water. For those extra s hooks, swivels, j hooks etc I will just paint/speed dip and store a few for quick use during the season this way they are protected from the elements as scent control is not as much of a concern.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Cable stakes that are going to be reused need to be waxed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good tips thank you guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts