The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking over the information on the PGC Site about "Becoming a Deputy"

I see there are certain things that if you are involved in them, you can NOT become a DWCO...

Why is this?

Things that if you are involved with that keeps you from becoming a DWCO...

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=5&Q=159708
GENERAL LIMITATIONS
Persons who, by license or permit are authorized by the Commission to function in one of the following categories may not hold the position of Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer:

Hunting License Issuing Agent,
Commercial Wildlife Pest Control Agent,
Propagation Permittee,
Menagerie Permittee,
Fur Dealer, Rehabilitator,
Regulated Hunting Grounds Operator,
Taxidermist, or Exotic Wildlife Dealer.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
yes Conflict of interest

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fleroo said:
Judging by the list, pretty sure they would be considered "conflict of interest".
Well, I really can not see how there would be a conflict of interest with a guy being self employed as a Commercial Wildlife Pest Control Agent, works for himself, can put time into being a deputy and IS out there A LOT in his work, hearing information that could be used to combate Prouching and such times, yet becuase he is Licensed as a Commercial Wildlife Pest Control Agent and has to secure the License from the PGC and Submit information to the Local WCO each Month, that makes him a Conflict of Interest and then can not become a Deputy and help the WCOs and Hunters by Enforcing the law?

Issueing Agent... Guy has a Sporting Goods Store, Has many people working for him, has the time to do many thins and Wishs to be a DWCO...he sells Hunting License, Oh, but he sells those Hunting license, wants to make some extra money in his store by offering Licenses...but since he sells Hunting Licneses, he can not become a DWCO..for it would be a Conflict of interests? He would have an upper hand on selling EVERY Licnese issued in the State of PA?

Guy works a Full Time job, on the Side he has a license to buy and sell Furs... he would like to be a DWCO....But, No, that would be a Conflict of Interest because he has the Fur Dealers Licnese...he would then have an upper hand over all other fur dealers?

HUM, Maybe they should add to that list!
If you Ever worked for the PGC and Retired, You can not be a DWCO!
If you Work for the PGC Full Time, You can not be a DWCO!

If your a State Worker of Any Kind, You can not be a DWCO!

Instead of making it that those folks can not be DWCOs....what they should do is Tweek things a Bit... make it that if they hold any of those licenses, they have to abide by a MUCH HIGHER Standerd to be a DWCO!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
As a DWCO you would be required to inspect the above activities, It would be a conflict of interest for them to be inspecting competitors or enforcing laws on them. WCO's cannot engage in any of the permitted activites listed either including hunting a red tag farm.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WCO said:
As a DWCO you would be required to inspect the above activities, It would be a conflict of interest for them to be inspecting competitors or enforcing laws on them. WCO's cannot engage in any of the permitted activites listed either including hunting a red tag farm.
Your a WCO...By Law, for you to hunt, you Have to buy a Hunting License, just because you have a Badge on your Chest or in Your Pocket should NOT keep you fromn Hunting a Red Tag Property on Your Day off!

Sorry, Those are Some VERY Stupid Laws!

If a guy was a DWCO and had certain licenses and investigated another with the same license he held and he Fudged records to make the other loose his License... then that DWCO should be held on a higher Plain and be Given a Much Worse Judgment for Fudging things to make the other loose his Privleges!

Like I said above, should not be that they should Not be able to be a DWCO...they should have to Abide by a Much Higher Standard then those who do not have 1 of the Licenses, yet are a DWCO!

Even you being a WCO, should have ALL Rights to Hunt were you Please on your days off with permission if Private Propertor, Red Tag Properties or SGLS the same as someone who has no ties as a WCO or a DWCO!
(oh heck, why would you be even able to legally hunt SGLs? You have an upper hand on All other hunters on pretty much knowing what and were is on those SGLs! You captured and released a Bear on a SGL....you want to hunt bear, by law, you should not be able to be within 50 miles of anywere you or a Fellow WCO released a captured bear!)

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are all wet on this one Woody and the bear on the game lands analogy is ludacris. There are many jobs where people cannot do certain things that would be a conflict with their job. Deputies should not be doing inspections or compliance checks on permittees if they are a permittee. They should not be a permittee and be in competition with other permittees because all these things foment problems and complaints and create hostility and distrust. People becomming deputies know this up front and they choose either to become a deputy or not. Deputies already are held to a higher standard than the average Joe by the PGC. Not having a conflict policy would without a doubt result in the PGC being plagued with complaints about deputies who were permittees getting special treatment by the agency and having to waste an inordinate amount of resources investigating the complaints It would be irresponsible not to have the policy in place I don't know what put this burr under your saddle, perhaps you are interested in becomming a deputy and your permit is in the way, I don't know but if that is the case you just like everyone else who wanted to become a deputy must make a decision as to which one is the most important to you.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I approve and issue red tag farms in my district , It would be a conflict of interest for me to hunt them, I knew this stuff early on and made my choice.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John S said:
You are all wet on this one Woody and the bear on the game lands analogy is ludacris. There are many jobs where people cannot do certain things that would be a conflict with their job. Deputies should not be doing inspections or compliance checks on permittees if they are a permittee. They should not be a permittee and be in competition with other permittees because all these things foment problems and complaints and create hostility and distrust. People becomming deputies know this up front and they choose either to become a deputy or not. Deputies already are held to a higher standard than the average Joe by the PGC. Not having a conflict policy would without a doubt result in the PGC being plagued with complaints about deputies who were permittees getting special treatment by the agency and having to waste an inordinate amount of resources investigating the complaints It would be irresponsible not to have the policy in place I don't know what put this burr under your saddle, perhaps you are interested in becomming a deputy and your permit is in the way, I don't know but if that is the case you just like everyone else who wanted to become a deputy must make a decision as to which one is the most important to you.
You answered your Own Question!

I have the Time, Money, Understanding of a Wife who has agreed to stand behind me on persuing this...

BUT, OH, I Can not because of someone decided that if you hold a certain license, you would then be very bad to those holding the same license and try your best to get thier license Revoked!

WCOs should not be considered a Conflict of interest on Red Tag Farms because they Wrote up a permit so the farm could be a Red Tag... if the WCO is off Duty and walks up to the farmer and say "Can I hunt today, I'm off Duty" Farmer has the right to decide if he wants WCO to do the Red Tag Hunt for him or let a relative or very good Friend or some Joe who comes in and asks do the hunt!

Same as all the other stuff I listed above about the licenses...

Guys who can and are Willing to pretty much do a Job that Costs them MORE to do then they get back, should be considered for the possition.....and then, IF they start writting folks up with the same license they hold, THEN there should be something done about it and the outcome should be FAR Worse then if someone else lodged False Reports against the person......OR if they Violate something that has to do with the License, they should then be held at a much higher standard then someone who just held the license and was not a DWCO!

It just looks like the deal with pouching... so many think that a person with a LTC and spot lights with the pistol on thier side is a "Wanna be Poucher" or the deal with being able to carry a muzzleloader and bow at the same time, some folks think that the person is guilty from the start of going to pouch a deer!

State and Federal government should give folks the Benefit of dought BEFORE Saying they can not doing something because of a license!

Of all the things I have Seen you, yourself post about the junk that goes on in our government , I would have expected you to be able to see how it does not give someone a Fighting Chance to Prove them Selves!
No, they are Just Guilty of doing bad things from the Get Go....they would Violate others rights to come out far ahead!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Woody it has to do with not giving the appearance of impropriety. you leave the door open for that you spend all your time trying to prove nothing improper is going on and no time doing the work that needs to be done. That is the sad truth because there are a lot of people who wnat thing to be improper and use it to condone their own bad actions. That it the way it is and we all knew it before we took the job, deputies and WCOs alike. Does the PGC lose some good people because of the policy? I am sure they do, but it is better that way than to have to continue to be putting out brush fires and they know that those who took the job are probably going to be dedicated to it. Not much more I can say, we don't live in a perfect world, if we did, we wouldn't need deputies or WCOs.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
How do you find out exactly who the Deputy WCO's are?

Reason that I ask is I know of a guy whom I have been told is a Deputy but I don't know for certain. His family owns and runs a fur depot in Lawrence County and he also runs a wildlife pest control business.

Doesn't sound like he would be permitted to also be a deputy.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No it doesn't sound like he is unless he works for the Fish and Boat Commission. Call the regional and give them his name, they can tell you if he is a deputy.

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
There is a certain amount of "avoiding appearances of possible impropriety" that is incorporated into the law. Unfortunately, the folks who write our laws seem to have the mind set, that everyone is and will be a law breaker.

According to them, the number of honest hunnters is quite small. For instance, you can't hunt small game with a 22 Hornet during muzzleloader season. Instead of squirrels you might be temptedd to shoot a deer. Now the fact that if you were of a law breaker mind set, you would kill the deer anyway, regardless of what firearm you are carrying. So in essence, the law assumes the worst of everyone, and in actuality only affects the honest guy who would like to hunt small game with his rifle. Poachers simply aren't discouraged by such regulations.

So, how many much needed potential deputies are discouraged by the rules? Who knows?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts