The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question for those who planted Durana/Patriot clover. Do you think its worth the extra cost compared to other white clovers? I was looking for input if these clovers actually last longer than other clovers, require less maintenance, grow well on poor soils, and deer preference compared to other clovers.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I have Patriot planted right beside Imperial. I can say that the Patriot is giving me a longer lasting plot than the Imperial. Not sure if the deer prefer one over the other tho.

Seems to be doing well for me tho.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Outdoorsman said:
I was looking for input if these clovers actually last longer than other clovers, require less maintenance, grow well on poor soils, and deer preference compared to other clovers.
This describes my Durana plot pretty well. Even though it is browsed down to the ground right now, it keeps coming back. The deer are actually walking through a plot of annuals to get to the mowed down Durana.
I also have some Imperial planted and it is doing well, but at least on my place, the Durana is the prefered clover. And... my Imperial is planted on my best soil, and the Durana is planted on an old logging deck.
Is it worth the extra cost?... JMHO, Absolutely...

·
Banned
617 Posts
Where do you guys get your durana and what is estimated cost if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Based on the comments I'm going to try a mix of Patriot and Durana at my camp this spring.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It does seem to take a longer time for either of them to establish. I'd go with Durana next time and maybe sow some crimson clover in with it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dutch is right on. If you plant in the spring, throw in some crimson or red clover to get some good grow while the Durana establishes.
I plant mine in the fall, mixed with oats. It will come on strong the following spring.

Fall planted Durana the following June.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard Durana was slow to germinate and was considering using a nurse crop. Crimson clover is a great idea for the nurse crop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts