The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone here has one or has test driven one? Looking for input. I'm gonna be in the market for a new truck soon and am trying to decide between one of these or a 1500 Silverado

·
Registered
487 Posts
Im not a gm guy here at all but buy the Silverado if your set on a gm product. it's a proven vehicle and the other is a first year production vehicle which usually results in some growing pains unless you like being a guniea pig. I know this from experience !! Good luck which ever you decide

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I own a duramax but but would never consider owning one unless I tow heavy loads on a regular basis.I just don't see the logic in paying thousands more for a diesel in a compact truck.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive a lot, about 25k a year, which is why I'm considering the diesel. They are about 3500 more then a similar gasser. I really don't need a full size truck like I have now, a midsize with a 6' bed would perfectly suit my lifestyle. The increased fuel economy should pay for itself if I keep the truck as long as I plan to. I realize a diesel will have more maintenance costs, but they shouldn't be as much as a full size diesel from my research. Not to mention, spending 3500 extra on a diesel will surely be retained down the road when time comes to sell because they hold their value much more.

I also wouldn't consider a new Colorado a 'compact' truck, they are not much, if any, smaller then a full size from 20 years ago. Have a payload of 1500 lb and can tow ~8k lbs.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I did some extensive test on the gas Colorado and came real close to pulling the trigger on one, I just couldn't get the price I wanted!

I know around here they can't keep the Diesel on lot long enough for a test drive one! I agree about the resale and it did win Truck Of The Year!

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
My daily driver is a duramax and I can't wait until I no longer have to drive a diesel.They're a pain in extreme cold weather.It costs me over 120 bucks to change the oil and fuel filter and it's a pain to get fuel.Most stations only have one diesel pump if that and it never fails that some pinhead is parked on both sides getting gas when 5 other pumps are open.Unless you get a really good deal,I don't see the fuel saving ever making up for the increased cost of fuel and the cost of the truck.Just my take after driving one for the past 10 years.If you pull heavy loads on a regular basis,it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
So...the rumors that you just liked the noise and stench, are untrue then?

One of my best friends and huntin' buds, was a diesel mechanic most of his life, eventually worked his way into management and ran a local Detroit Diesel shop.

Another friend asked him one day, why he didn't drive a diesel pickup. He answered that few really need one, including him. His wife pulled their horse trailer with his 4x4 2500 Silverado w/6.0L gasser just fine.

He's been gone for 15 years now and she's still using that same truck to drag nags around.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I've been driving Duramaxes for several yrs. No stench or smoke and my 2015 is much quieter than the '08. Aside from obvious towing strengths it is unmatched when traversing icy hills in low range-something I frequently encounter during winter travel where I live.

I'll never go back to a gasser..

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
DennyF said:
So...the rumors that you just liked the noise and stench, are untrue then?

One of my best friends and huntin' buds, was a diesel mechanic most of his life, eventually worked his way into management and ran a local Detroit Diesel shop.

Another friend asked him one day, why he didn't drive a diesel pickup. He answered that few really need one, including him. His wife pulled their horse trailer with his 4x4 2500 Silverado w/6.0L gasser just fine.

He's been gone for 15 years now and she's still using that same truck to drag nags around.
It depends on the horse trailer.Mine is a gooseneck that weighs about 11k lbs loaded.A 6L will do it but the diesel does it much better.You also notice a big difference between a diesel and gas engine when towing when it comes to fuel economy.My days of needing a big horse trailer are coming to an end here.My daughter just turned 18 so her weekend rodeo trips will be on her in the near future.I haven't decided it I'll get a new 3/4 ton or just a half ton when that happens.In any event,it won't be a diesel.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
My daughter just turned 18 so her weekend rodeo trips will be on her in the near future.
You're gonna let us know how that works out, right?

Most of my buds w/teenage daughters, or daughters in general, seem to have dads tightly wrapped around their little fingers well into adulthood.

Several of the northern tier portion of the clan have owned diesels for years. Mostly farmers or own businesses that require HD pickups.

Good mix of Fords and GMs, coupla Rams thrown in now. Makes for lively discussions come family reunion time in Potter.

Two have ditched diesel pickups in the past few years, for new 3/4 ton gasser 4x4s. One has an excavating business, the other does commercial landscaping and snow plowing. Both own multiple trucks.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
dce said:
My daily driver is a duramax and I can't wait until I no longer have to drive a diesel.They're a pain in extreme cold weather.It costs me over 120 bucks to change the oil and fuel filter and it's a pain to get fuel.Most

Wow what kind of oil do you run?? When I had a d-max the oil change was around 45 50 bucks.

My Cummins takes an 11.00 filter and 3 gal of Rotella at 12.00 ec.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I change the fuel filter every time I change the oil and a fuel filter is between $59 and $79 bucks.

Don't get me wrong,I love the truck.It's an 06 and I have over 225k trouble free miles and the truck gets used extremely hard.I bought it when it was a couple years old and got a crazy good deal on it.I just wouldn't go out and spend the extra money on a new diesel unless I towed the kinds of heavy loads that I do now.Last year,I had a couple customers of mine pick up brand new 3/4 ton cummings for 37-38k.A diesel would be worth it in that case but I'm not shelling out 50k for something that's gonna rot out in 8 years because of Pa's roads.

Two things bug me the most.I put a small lift and bigger tires on it so it doesn't fit in my garage.I park it outside all winter and it's just another hassle having to plug it in all the time.That wouldn't be a big deal if I was able to park in my garage.The other thing is,I just hating getting fuel.I'm always in a hurry and it never fails that 50 other pumps are open but someone always has to be getting gas where the only diesel pump is.Worse yet,the pinheads usually leave their car parked in those spots when they go in for their MTO's.It just drives me crazy and I've had a couple lively converations with people about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts