The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new Kawasaki KLX250S yesterday.

Went for my first ride this evening after work. Headed up in the mountain on some dirt roads and had a blast. Was looking like rain so I made my way back home.

I ventured back the farm lane, muddy and rutty! Coming back out I navigated a turn in the lane and came up on some ruts... hard to see in the pic. I somehow got my front tire on the high side of a rut and the back tire didn't ride up over the rut, it slid along the rut and spun around 90 degrees as the bike layed over.

It had to have been the easiest lay over ever as... maybe 20 mph, 2nd gear. There was no pain involved or damage other than a rearranged clutch lever that easyily bent back.

Here the accident scene.

Close up.

As I've read, seems under powered - kinda sluggish, not exactly bursting with power. Higher gears are really lacking, will definately need some mods in the future. I really like how it shifts, very smooth. Definately cold natured, I have to use the choke for every start up.

On the mountain top.

My ugly mug shot.

On the farm before the wipeout.:D

bootmud

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
As I've read, seems under powered - kinda sluggish, not exactly bursting with power. Higher gears are really lacking, will definately need some mods in the future. I really like how it shifts, very smooth. Definately cold natured, I have to use the choke for every start up.
Nice lookin bike Bootmud- I like it. That bike will always be sluggish and is designed to be. The KLX is Kawasaki's basic street/trail put- put four stroke. That bike is similiar to the DR series that Suzuki has had out for decades. Just and meat and potatoes thumper-nothing fancy.

Those tires are going to be worthless off road. I know they call them street/trail but they're designed for the street. As far as needing the choke for starts, that should be the case with all cold starts. I take it you don't need the choke once the bike has been running right?

Not sure what you were looking for in terms of a bike but you will get many years out of that bike without changing a lot of things depedning on what you are using it for. It will be good for basic trail riding but probably lacks for the really aggressive stuff like big hill climbs and crossing into motocross. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Fun bikes...I have two, a Suzuki DR 650 and a Yamaha YX 225..Mainly use them for commuting and riding around here in the valley.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Don't dismay, in 1989 when I was riding my 1 day old Honda 300 fourtrax I flipped it while hill climbing and it and me rolled down to the bottom. Me broken foot, new Honda bent and broken everything (fenders, racks, handlebars etc etc) both healed up and never wrecked it again.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Nice looking bike Boot, I would think a rack on back would be in order for hauling out dead yotes!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Nice looking bike. Its always a bumber when you lay it down for the first time. On all my new machines and helmets I put a scratch on them before I take them out for the first time. It's an old superstition I have. If you feel that it's lacking power you can always try an aftermarket exhaust with a FMF Power Bomb header. Open up the airbox and install a Twin Air air filter. Then rejet unless it's fuel injected then you'll have to get a programmer. Those Power Bomb head pipes really make 250s respond well down low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts