The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up early yesterday, nice cool morning. Loaded up all my gear to go shoot my new Crossbow for the first time.
Crossbow, range finder, targets, shooting bench and rest, a pillow if needed, Coffee.
Got up to the farm I hunt got everything set up and realized I forgot the Bolts.
#%$&%###$, cursed myself for 10 minutes.
Didn't have the time to come home and go back up.
Well I did remember everything this morning and shot my new Ravin R9, got her sighted in and fell in Love again, Don't tell the wife.:grin2:
For me this Crossbow exceeds anything I had expected. So Saturdays blunder was quickly forgotten.:smile2:

·
Registered
877 Posts
My son and I went shooting thismourning also. Me and my Horton Storm Rdx and him with his Horton Vortec Rdx….. Good times! Right now we are both deadly ( 1/2 inch groups ) out to 50 yards.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Twice while I was at sporting camps there were hunters who left camp in the morning only to realize they forgot their ammo back in their bunks. Also knew of a guy that was hound hunting bears in Maine who had a nice bear treed, only to find his bolt had fallen out of his rifle somewhere. He used my spare rifle the rest of the week.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twice while I was at sporting camps there were hunters who left camp in the morning only to realize they forgot their ammo back in their bunks. Also knew of a guy that was hound hunting bears in Maine who had a nice bear treed, only to find his bolt had fallen out of his rifle somewhere. He used my spare rifle the rest of the week.
I've had several blunders through the years of Hunting, but How do you loose a Bolt?
They don't just fall out. Even if you entered the woods with the Bolt open it can't fall out.:surprise2:

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I've had several blunders through the years of Hunting, but How do you loose a Bolt?
They don't just fall out. Even if you entered the woods with the Bolt open it can't fall out.
ive seem several online gun “reviews” where the so called expert complained about a receiver mounted bolt release. They claim is can cause you to loose your bolt. As far as I can tell you’d have to have the bolt open first. I think you’d notice if you snagged something hard enough to open a closed bolt even on an empty chamber. Even with the bolt open it’s a “1 in 1,000,000” shot.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
That may be true but Every Bolt action I own that have different bolt releases but can't see any of
them loosing a bolt even if left open.
i agree but apparently they feel a release like the ruger 77 or the new mossberg patriot can catch on things and open. I’d say of that happens then you had very little control of your weapon and were not paying attention.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
My guess is that his action was open in the truck, as was required by many outfitters. Probably entered woods without closing his action. ( most outfitters wont have you chamber a shell until you're ready to shoot ). If your bolt release button is gummy or stuck, or it's spring breaks, a bolt can slide out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts