The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got kit for my muzzleloader with all the rod end attachemets. with the sabot attachement on my ramrod it sticks out longer than the barrel. should I take this attachment off every time I take a shot or is it safe to leave it on?

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
If it is below the bore so the bullet does not strike the attachment, it will fire without significant interference, however, the muzzle flash will spread fouling all over it.

The closer it is to the flight of the bullet the more likeli it is that the attachment could cause the bullet to fly erratically. We are talking less than a 1/4 inch below the flight of the bullet. Obviously a big 12 ga jag sticking up into the bore line is dangerous. But when it is just below, the attachment can cause the gases escaping from the muuzzle to spread at less than full 360 degree radius. that open spot in the 360 degree radius can pull the flight of the bullet slightly off. Think of it as being similar to having an off center crown on the muzzle. It won't necessarily cause loss of accuracy, but can if close enough under the bore. (And when there is a deer, you missed, give you the technical excuse you need for your buddies)

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its just a little brass attachment to make loading sabots easier. I dont think it will be an issue Ill leave it on the next time I shoot it. its kinda a neccesity because the sabot tips stick in the normal jag end.
I dont wanna carry it in a pocket and loose it.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
It's not in the way of the bore so I'd leave it on. It gets dirty from muzzle blast? Cool! I have a .54 flinter and the ramrod sticks out about 3/4" inch beyond the muzzle because I keep a ramming attachment screwed in. No problems.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
That is fine --- on one of mine it sticks out two inches

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
For purely asthetic reasons so as not to offend my fragile sensibilities, I prefer that the ramrod tip not extend beyond the muzzle. You must also understand that I'm getting pretty old, and like my joints, I'm not as flexible in my thinking as I used to be.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Berks I agree with you 100%----for looks --even her up-----when I hunt or shoot at the range the extra 2 inches or so simply makes it easier to hold the rod when stuffing!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it wouldnt be on there if it wasnt needed. its just a sabot attachment. the sabot tip sticks in the normal rod end and makes it tricky to load. I dont wanna accidently pull the bullet back out a little when removing the rod and hurt my self.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
When I load a gun in the field or the range, I usually have my ramrod tucked under my left arm. I measure the powder, seat the ball with a short starter and then grab my rod and ram it home. I'm like Bunky, I have a couple rods that extend out beyond the barrel if for no other reason than to give me a little more rod to grab hold of when I'm cleaning the barrel in the field.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
For a rifle, sure, we all know we only need that one shot. But when I go small game hunting with my perc 12 ga double, I will be reloading several times and use a rod that sticks out two inches. I carry the 12 ga end in the shooting bag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts