The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommendations for a crossbow for my daughter? She's 15, about 5'2", and smaller build. She hunts with youth guns. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
615 Posts
my friends daughter has one she handles it like a charm! shes 10! shes hunts out of my double bull for turkeys and plows them too! it only shoots like 305 fps but its deadly accurate! ive shot video of her almost chopping thier heads off! with fixed broadheads! she shoots as good as we do with or excoets! 200#

·
Super Moderator
4,589 Posts
My son shoots my Exocet 200 and loves it.He is 11 and will be 12 on the 30th.He complained that my shots in the target were better.I told him they are the same,dead deer.He groups under softball in size at 20.All of his shots hit the vitals on the target.I like the way he thinks though.His shots are never good enough for him.I can't wait for the day he out shoots me with it and guns.If I had the cash right now he would have his own Exocet.Doesn't really matter which one you get.You will need to cock it for your child anyhow.As the child gets ollder a lighter pound bow may alleviate you from the task though.I think an Excalibur would be a fine choice for a child.It is for me and after all I am a big kid.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The Excalibur Vixen II has the shorter stock that is similar to the youth model guns. It should fit the same as her youth gun. We have a used one in stock with all the goodies already on it,including STS, quiver and bracket,scope and mount and a few arrows and it was shot less than 50 shots. It's priced at $489.

·
Registered
18,709 Posts
arrowhead said:
We have a used one in stock with all the goodies already on it,including STS, quiver and bracket,scope and mount and a few arrows and it was shot less than 50 shots. It's priced at $489.
That would be my choice as well Crow. With the STS that Arrowhead has on this bow, it is a steal.

The Vixen and Pheonix are specifically designed for smaller shooting and have the punch to get er done. Many adults choose this line as well becuase of the light weight, lower noise and easier cocking.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I researched it and it seems kinda slow, maybe? I don't know. Maybe I'll go with it. Thank you.

Secret - Thanks for the info about the Phoenix too. That seems a bit faster.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
i would check out the tornado. its not a youth but its a very compact bow and one of the best around

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The Phoenix is 2 " longer than the Vixen II. It is designed for an adult. Not sure if that is an issue or not, as a crossbow has no recoil.
Measuring from the trigger to the buttplate- the Tornado is 13 1/2 inches. The Phoenix is 13 3/4 inches. The Vixen II is 13 inches, with an overall length of 35 1/2 inches. It has a mass weight of 5.9 lbs. Hope this helps your decision a little.
My wife is on the short side (she is 5'2") and hunts with a youth model rifle. She handles the Tornado just fine.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
roosterboosters whole family is useing the tornado, i think its really one of the best all around bows out right now

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yes, Tornados for the wife and myself. It is in my opinion one of the very best crowwbows on the market at the moment.
Here is a pic of mine....all tricked out.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arrowhead - how fast is the Vixen II you have been chrono'ed at? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The Vixen II shot 256 f.p.s. over our chronograph using a Gold Tip Laser II.
One more bow to have a look at would be the Parker Stinger. It is a Pink Next G1 Camo. The pink is barely visable and it just has a pink hue to it. The stock is adjustable for length of pull. The Buck-Buster 150 and 175 are also adjustable for length of pull if the pink camo isn't appealing to you.
Stinger has a 300 f.p.s. rating
B.Buster 150 has a 315 f.p.s. rating
B.Buster 175 has a 330 f.p.s. rating
The Parkers all shoot very close thier f.p.s. ratings. All have a lifetime warranty and made in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

Do you have a pic of the Vixen II? She is definitely not a pink camo girl, but, I appreciate the heads up! Also, how much is the BB 175 running? And, would I be able to adjust it for both of us just in case I'd like to take it out? Thanks!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't have a defenate answer for you, but i would be looking more into the accuracy that other people are getting from the crossbow that you wanta get... don't get all wrapped into the speed...Yes i do have a semi-fast shooting compound (around 325fps with 550grain 30 inch arrows) I was really thinking of going with a Matthews (which was pushing 350 and 360fps) but heard, shot, and seen that they had some pretty horrible accuracy... doesnt matter if the arrow/bolt is traveling at mach 5... if it cant hit the target it's worthless... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Didn't get the P.M. I just cleaned out the inbox so you might want to try again. I can get pics of the Vixen later today.
The B. Buster has a stock extension in front of the buttplate that can be added or removed. It will fit both of you nicely. Actually, you will probably let it set for her, if you are hunting from a treestand. The shorter stock is alot more fun to shoot out of a tree. (because of the downward angle of the shot, the shorter stock is more comfortable)It sells for $599.95 with the Multi-reticle scope. We also include some extras.

Accuracy- I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy, as long as you buy your package with our arrows. We have spent most of the last year developing arrows that work with the packages we sell. In crossbow archery, the only thing that you can tune for accuracy is the arrow. (you must also have your cams in time) We have done this testing for you, and I can assure you that any of the packages we sell are the best they can be. We also test broadhead flight, so you don't need to spend $$$ on broadheads that don't fly well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts