The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one of the 2 is better for coyotes? Looking to buy some for next year. There is a significant price difference between them, I was told to buy 1 3/4 offset jaws but not sure if 2 or 4 coils. Are the sleepy creeks worth the extra money?

·
Registered
653 Posts
For out of the box, the Sleepy's for sure. I have both, caught coyotes in both. I've seen the baseplate bend on Dukes from a coyote. The Dukes will work most of the time but sooner or later something will bend or break. If you want to baseplate, bend jaw tips up, and replace the pan bolt the Duke is just as good. This season I added a dozen #2 Dukes regular jaws I baseplated and worked over. I was very pleased. Held everything that hit the pan including a nice 37lb. coyote with no issues. No need to 4 coil either brand both very strong.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
mb's! no mads needed,heavy duty out of the box trap.i'm going with 450's, i don't mess with yotes!

·
Registered
738 Posts
DUKE #2 no need to 4coil a lot of guy's do not like Duke traps but for someone just starting and might not stick with it or if you just want to save some money Dukes will hold Coyotes

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm new to trapping as well. Sleepy Creek came recommended to me. Many of the guys I know say stay away from Duke. I've been reading a good bit on here and trapperman. It seems a lot use Duke with good results and a lot don't like them as well. MB comes highly recommended as well. I haven't read many complaint if any on the Sleepy Creek brand. They are also MADE IN THE USA as well. I see you're in Cumberland County, run over to Johnson's Furs and take a look at them. His prices are the same or better than what is online it appears, plus no shipping.

·
Banned
174 Posts
I didnt have any Dukes so i bought 1 1/2 coils double jaws and i have to say that is a great trap , you will here guys complaining about them being foreign made as they drive their Toyota to check traps !!!!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I run all Duke 3's for yotes and have never had one problem.All I do for mods is cut chain down to 6" length and add an in line swivel,nightlatch and put 2lbs pressure on trap pan.Takes a matter of minutes to have the trap ready for waxing.if I bought sleepy creeks, I'd be doing the same exact thing to them.Save your $$ and buy the Dukes.The owner is a great supporter of trappers too

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
#3 sleepy creeks are worth it for me. If targeting yotes the offset with an inline shockspring. Will add more this summer. Yotes will bend the dogs but really not an issue. Been using for 6-7 seasons and like them fine. I do like that they are American.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I really like my Sleepy #3' offsets had great luck with them also. I've been looking at the Dukes lately. Today I checked out the prices on FnT on DUKES vs Sleepys I probably would get more Dukes and mod them. I'm not gonna get the 40 dollar difference in mods.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I look at it like this; it's one day of fuel when running strong to get the better dozen traps.Less after mods. IMO. I understand times are tight though and we do what we can. Truth be told I'd love to run more Jake traps but, same deal, they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
306 Posts

1 3/4 sleepy creek. I had a sterling pan system on there set for fox and she found the trap instead. Bent the dog but I've had the dogs bend on my 550's if your getting started I go with sleepy creek and adjust the dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
minn. trap prod. has 1 1/2 sc offset already modified. been in use on my line for 5yrs. havent lost a yote yet. two biggest this yr were pushin #40

1 - 18 of 18 Posts